Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Help: Ammo for my new 7mmRM Tikka T3 Lite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help: Ammo for my new 7mmRM Tikka T3 Lite

Right On!

I guess I'll have to give the Accubonds a try as well. I shot some Federal loaded 140gr. Partitions at the range. They grouped nicely as well. 1 pair of a group of 4 were nearly 1 oblong hole and the other 2 rds. in the group were about .95 MOA.(?) in kind of a cloverleaf at 200 yds. But they weren't consistently like that.

I think the Lubalox coating is a big contributor to the consistent accuracy I've had with the Silvertips.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 that loves the 50 gr Winchester Silver tips. I handload them with 27grs of Varget(3300 fps) and it consistently shoot less then .25" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Have shot as good as .17".

I have shot about .25" groups with 40, 50, 55 and 60 grain Ballistic tips(1-8" twist)

Don't know why but it likes the moly ones better then the regular ballistic tips.

I've had two different 300 WSMs that refuse to shoot any nosler bullets though. Go figure!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM

I've used the ballistic tip bullets in the 7mm rem mag on whitetails. I've shot a few with them...basically, never again.

They fragment on impact. One deer I shot broad side and he literally had a 4 inch wide hole through him. Another I jumped and he was trotting away from me, got him in the right ham and destroyed a lot of meat. Not only that, but down he went, and still quite alive. The bullet blew up...fragmented. There was nothing left of the bullet to hit vitals. Out came the Glock to finish that.

Once I saw what the ballistic tip did on the 2nd example I decided I'd never use them for deer again.

After that I switched to fail safes, which are no longer made. I think the Accubond replaced them? I might try them myself.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM

Unless it is a big buck, I pretty much take neck shots. So the meat dessimation isn't really a problem. I am looking for accuracy, and when I do shoot at the big buck, for him to be down DRT. I shot a buck with my .270, which I am sure I hit this year but never found blood and never found him. It was also drizzling rain.

SCH
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Hunter View Post
Unless it is a big buck, I pretty much take neck shots. So the meat dessimation isn't really a problem. I am looking for accuracy, SCH
I second that. Although I'm not much of a trophy hunter. Accuracy is my priority. So far no bullet groups out of my 7mmRM like the Silvertips. Partitions are a close second. Soft Points are great at 100 yds. I shoot "hands on the clock" with them. After 100 you never can be sure were they are going to hit.

Slyder27, It has always been my impression that you shoot an animal in the ham to anchor him and then you have to kill him. Never done it myself.