Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

HELP!! 300 Win Mag Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: HELP!! 300 Win Mag Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I agree that if all you were ever shooting was 150-180 grain, a 12 twist is better but as others have stated, I have had several 10 twist 30's that would shoot well under an inch consistently even down to 130 grain so I don't think twist is your problem.....Rich
I agree all the 300s I have have the 1-10 twist right now my plain factory sendero is shooting under a dime with the twist rate.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

I know that you mentioned that you had confidence in your gun smiths ability. However all smiths can have a bad day every now and then. Start with the small things and work to the larger. The first two places I would start are with optics(Mounted correctly and tightly). I would also look very carefully at your crown. It doesn't take much of a burr at all to have it lose accuracy and it is very easy to bump your muzzle into something and create one.

Most all of the factory magnums are coming with a 1/10 twist. They need to be able to shoot a wide variety of weights well. I do not believe that this is your issue. You may give Hart a call and see what they recommend.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 PM

T o answer a few questions, this is the 4th the 300 magnum Ive owned. I just received my 4.5x14x40lr back from leupold prior to the gun being finished and I mounted the scope myself so I can assure everything is tight (rings were lapped also). I do agree gunsmiths can have bad days and I do not discount that theory one bit. I'm not bothered by recoil, but I do have off days at the range. Yesterday may have been one of them. Today I shot the same 165gmx superperformance hornadys and shot 3 groups with the biggest being a tad under an inch and the smallest being about 3/8". I also shot some 180 SST superperformance and they averaged just under an inch as well. What was really cool was they had the same point of impact, without adjustment. The disappointing ammo was the HSM 168VLD Hunting. They shot horrible, averaging around 2.5 to 3.5 inches.

I appreciate all the info you guys are throwing out there, it has made me consider some things I may otherwise would not have. Keep em coming.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

One last thing to consider as well. Iam interested to see that you had a group as small as 3/8 inch. Then it opened up to just less than an inch. I had a similar problem to this and believe it or not it was on a 300 win mag. My groups would also vary and it was due to parallax. Not that the recoil was hurting me to where I was compensating for it by jerking. It was the fact that there was enough movement due to recoil that when I was getting back into the next shot I was not getting back into the same exact cheek weld and pupil center. Once I realized this it helped my groups a fair bit. I realize that you're not recoil sensative but the shear amount of movement alone may be causing you some trouble with follow up shots and groups.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
One last thing to consider as well. Iam interested to see that you had a group as small as 3/8 inch. Then it opened up to just less than an inch. I had a similar problem to this and believe it or not it was on a 300 win mag. My groups would also vary and it was due to parallax. Not that the recoil was hurting me to where I was compensating for it by jerking. It was the fact that there was enough movement due to recoil that when I was getting back into the next shot I was not getting back into the same exact cheek weld and pupil center. Once I realized this it helped my groups a fair bit. I realize that you're not recoil sensative but the shear amount of movement alone may be causing you some trouble with follow up shots and groups.

I will keep that in mind next trip to the range. Im sure with more bench time they will get better and better. Like I said before, it could be more me than the rifle. Im going to get a friend of mine who shoots long range silhouette to sends some rounds downrange to test it. I hope its me and not the gun.lol
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Often a load that is really a moa load will toss a three shot group that is a lot smaller. You pat yourself on the back, shoot another group at one moa, and scratch your head. Both groups landed within average dispersion, you just haven't fired enough shots to see what that is yet. You almost have to get to 5 or 10 shot groups to really test a load.
Giving your technique a look never hurts, as I see you have done.