Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help! 280 AI Barrel Length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Help! 280 AI Barrel Length

I am having a 280 AI built with a blueprinted 700 LA, and either a Krieger or Bartlein MTU M24/M40 or something along those lines of barrel thickness with a manner MCS-T2A stock, and Timney trigger.

My question is what barrel length should I go with. I am inexperienced with the 280 AI, but I have heard great things and I am pretty much set on it. I was thinking a 26" finish with a score-hi tactical muzzle break, but I would enjoy others' opinions. Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help! 280 AI Barrel Length

When I build mine it will have the same basic barrel as yours (M24 / Mil contour) 26" finished length, 11* recessed match crown, etc... Except I won't be putting a brake on mine. But that's just personal preference.

I think 26" is the best all-around barrel length. 24" for a .308 Win, and 26" for all long-action calibers, regardless of contour.

That's just my opinion on things...Doesn't make it right or wrong.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

A lot depends on the type of rifle you want to carry. The Manners MCS-T2A is a great stock, albeit on the heavy side (4 lbs) for a hunting rig. If weight is going to be a concern, you could save a little by going with a 24" barrel. For me, a 26" barrel would be the optimal length, but then everything is a trade-off. Either way, it should be a great rig.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

If you should decide on a 28" barrel, I have something that might interest you.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
If you should decide on a 28" barrel, I have something that might interest you.
Edd, it is not letting me PM you from my phone, but I am interested in what you may have to offer. If you would email me at cordstanley@gus.pittstate.edu or send a PM here and I will reply later, that would be great.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

What you got Edd?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.