Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is a heavy barrel necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: Is a heavy barrel necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
TOM- the OP said "stock factory barrel" . what is your 27" barrel ? stock factory? . some remington 40x have 27 1/8" but they are not sporter weight
No it not, I was just commenting on MudRunner2005 post and if I was going to respond to OP question I would of quote to that.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Heavy barrels have multiple advantages...

1) they are heavier, so you don't get as much muzzle jump, and the heft helps to add stability on your hold.

2) the heavy barrels are more rigid in strength and flexibility than a sporter weight barrel, which will allow for less harmonic vibrations as the bullet is traveling down the barrel. With less barrel flex and vibration, the bullet will be more consistant in it's POI (Point Of Impact).
+1 with this caveat....

The heavier the barrel, the more the firearm weighs and the heavier the firearm the less convient it is to carry on a pack in hunt.

With me, it's more about a compromise of packability versus harmonics dampened by mass.

I'm not Charles Atlas so every ounce counts.

I own some big barreled cannons (read tanks). Not carrying them anywhere to remote. I'll take a light barreled sporter anyday and the resultant increase in harmonics if necessary.

Out of the truck and on the mat, anything goes, weight notwithstanding....
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with the packability factor, having a sporter or heavy sporter weight barrel. Such as a Weatherby Accumark style barrel, or maybe the Browning A-Bolt II magnum barrels. They tend to be heavier and thicker than most of the other brands sporter weight barrels I've seen. The Accumark is a light-heavy or heavy sporter (somewhere in the middle of those 2), and is still packable, but heavy enough to help with stability and rigidity.

Which is why my next build is a hunting build, and will probably be a Sendero or Accumark contour barrel....Still haven't decided.

But yes, straight out of the truck, and over the hood or tailgate.....Sure, bring on the full-bull.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

I'm adverse to the hood thing. Tends to be hard on windshields when discharging a big bore.

Something about the concussion.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'm adverse to the hood thing. Tends to be hard on windshields when discharging a big bore.

Something about the concussion.
Accident? If so, sounds like we need to hear about this one.... LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.