Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is a heavy barrel necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM

Is a heavy barrel necessary?

Is a stock barrel capable of accurately shooting out to long ranges or is it a must to have a heavy barrel?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is a heavy barrel necessary?

Heavy barrels have multiple advantages...

1) they are heavier, so you don't get as much muzzle jump, and the heft helps to add stability on your hold.

2) the heavy barrels are more rigid in strength and flexibility than a sporter weight barrel, which will allow for less harmonic vibrations as the bullet is traveling down the barrel. With less barrel flex and vibration, the bullet will be more consistant in it's POI (Point Of Impact).

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Diamond-what is long range? how many shots? my experience with factory stock barrel is - you use up a lot of time and money fussing with them to get them to shoot. they are like 12-17 dollars. what can i realistically expect?? the futher you depart from what the f-class , ft-r guys shoot the less probabilty you have. they go with what works. there is a reason the Seals and other services use a 300wm with a heavy 28 in ch custom barrel , in a macmillian stock with NF scope is it works. vahalla ? gues what the winners in f-class shoot? very similar. factory sporter barrels ?? start loading and shooting . maybe you have a hummer factory barrel.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

1) they are heavier, so you don't get as much muzzle jump, and the heft helps to add stability on your hold.

2) the heavy barrels are more rigid in strength and flexibility than a sporter weight barrel, which will allow for less harmonic vibrations as the bullet is traveling down the barrel. With less barrel flex and vibration, the bullet will be more consistant in it's POI (Point Of Impact).
What he said. A thicker heavier barrel also spreads the heat out better than a thin barrel. When shooting rapid strings of fire you will see a very noticable impact shift as the barrel heats up. Heavier barrels help negate this problem. You can shoot long range and have great accuracy with a sporter type barrel but the results will not be consistant.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

My custom built light hunting rifles (8.5 pounds scoped) are accurate enough to get the job done at any range. The problem here is the light platform and narrow hunting stock make the task pretty darn difficult. This depends more on the shooting position than the range itslf.

My preference is something heavier, but that extra weight doesn't have to come strictly from the barrel.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

I do agree with you but got to make first shot count. I've got couple sporter barrel out to 27" rifles weight under 10lbs and I do pretty good 3/4 shots not a rifle you want to do volume shooting with.

You build something you want the stock to fit you and you want a balance rifle and you want that same balance if building heavier rifle. My wife shoot a Forbes rifle I have a hard time hunting with that rifle just too light.

I see guys up in the high country just watching some of the drainage for elk have some pretty nice rifles for LR were as I do more walking get up around timberline. I'm sure if I was going to build Allen mag I'd want little more weight got to balance it out to your hunting style.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
I do agree with you but got to make first shot count. I've got couple sporter barrel out to 27" rifles weight under 10lbs and I do pretty good 3/4 shots not a rifle you want to do volume shooting with.

You build something you want the stock to fit you and you want a balance rifle and you want that same balance if building heavier rifle. My wife shoot a Forbes rifle I have a hard time hunting with that rifle just too light.

I see guys up in the high country just watching some of the drainage for elk have some pretty nice rifles for LR were as I do more walking get up around timberline. I'm sure if I was going to build Allen mag I'd want little more weight got to balance it out to your hunting style.
TOM- the OP said "stock factory barrel" . what is your 27" barrel ? stock factory? . some remington 40x have 27 1/8" but they are not sporter weight