Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Headspace -vs- Case Stretch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 PM

Re: Headspace -vs- Case Stretch

From what I am reading, would segregating cases by gun and neck sizing only after initial firing mean that the rifle with excessive headspace could be brought back to a usable condition without further work?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnler View Post
From what I am reading, would segregating cases by gun and neck sizing only after initial firing mean that the rifle with excessive headspace could be brought back to a usable condition without further work?
I would determine the cause of the excessive headspace first.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnler View Post
I'm a believe of fixing excessive headspace. It's safer in the long run. And a lot easier to manage, too.

Plus, the proper selection and use of full length sizing dies typically produces better accuracy than neck sizing anyway, so why not get the rifle back to specs to benefit from this?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP View Post
I would determine the cause of the excessive headspace first.
Except for swapping out the original barrel, bolt or firing several extreme high pressure loads that set the locking lugs forward, there's only one reason for excessive headspace in a rifle; too much space between the bolt face and the chamber's headspace reference point. That's caused by reaming the chamber too deep in the barrel's breech end.

If ammo that's ready to fire has too little case headspace and having excessive headspace when chambered, that's caused by the case having too little space between the case head and the case headspace reference point. Excessive full length sizing that sets the fired case shoulder back too far will cause this with rimless bottleneck cases. For all new cases, a bad lot of brass will cause this.