Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Having problems with getting consistant velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2001, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Having problems with getting consistant velocity

Darryl, what do you think about using the Norma 404 brass for the 300 ultra? Is a base diam. of .540 going to cause problems when the pressure is up a bit? I have one case here and the rim will fit in my bolt face. The Remington brass is just really soft and of poor quality. I am just concerned that the bulge in the .005 smaller base diameter of the Norma brass will cause problems. Are the primer pockets just going to loosen up even faster?
Thanks,
Vince
Old 12-20-2001, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

I almost forgot. I fired a couple of pressure loads today with the new Ramshot Grizz powder. 102 grains got me 3005 fps, but that is as high as I went today. There where no pressure signs or measureable case expansion, so it looks good so far.
Vince
Old 12-20-2001, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know what to tell you about the 404 Brass at this point. I don't think I would be interested in trying brass with a .005" difference in case diameter no matter where it is on the case. It would no doubt expand the primer pockets the first good load you put in it. Could even cause other problems that we don't want to mention.

If Federal is making loaded ammo for the 300 Ultra, I will be buying some soon just for the cases.

I can better give an evaluation once I start with my project using 240 gr bullets and the 300 Tomahawk chambering.

Later
Darryl Cassel

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 12-21-2001, 02:02 AM
Bronze Member

txhunter...

You mentioned that you sorted the cases by weight, but did you re-sort the selected cases by volumn? I have found that case capacity causes a larger variation than case weight does.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Ricciardelli,
if cases are weighed within .5gr of each other then checked with water for actual case capacity, in you exsperiance what would you expect the range to be then, 1gn, 2gns? Never checked myself.

Later
Brent
Old 12-21-2001, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Didn't think about sorting by volume. Will have to see. The next shooting sesion I will mark the cases for the velocity attained then check for volume variation. Less volume should push speed up a bit.

Don't realy know if it means any thing but I weighed the cases twice. Once before neck turning and then after writing down the weight for each, keeping them in the same order. I found that the cases that weighed more than average lost the most weight and those that were under lost very little weight. The spread between the heaviest and lightest shrank considerably. At the time I thought this to mean that the majority of the variation was within the neck thickness.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hello TX

Could be a lot of things wrong.
1. Are the Ojives the same on the bullets? Are they all being seated the same length, Can't happen if the ojives are different? THIS COULD BE THE PROBLEM

2. Is your scale absolutly accurate charge after charge? THIS COULD BE THE PROBLEM

3. Are you neck sizing only about half way down the neck?

4. Are the bullets making it to the target?

5. Are you weighing the bullets also?

6. What brand Chronagraph are you using? THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM.

You should be getting better consistancy then 75 FPS spread.

Check the scale. the bullets and the set up of the chronagraph.

I use two and sometimes three scales side by side when loading.
Don't trust ONE scale especially if it's a digital, they lie from time to time.

Hard to beat an Oehler 35-P Chronagraph.Had problems with other brands especially the Chroney

Later
Darryl Cassel

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]