Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Have you ever had a bad barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Have you ever had a bad barrel?

Yoshie
The reason you are getting the soot on the casing is because there is a slight amount of pressure/powder in the barrel when the case is starting to be extracted. Get your self an adjustable gas block and tune it down a hair. Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tailor your rifle to your ammo and make a rifle cycle perfectly. I bet the cases come out piping hot too.
Nothing really wrong with it its just a little over gassed.

Most of the good barrel makers are doing it by hand and they make mistakes too. What are your symptoms?

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Yoshie
The reason you are getting the soot on the casing is because there is a slight amount of pressure/powder in the barrel when the case is starting to be extracted. Get your self an adjustable gas block and tune it down a hair. Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tailor your rifle to your ammo and make a rifle cycle perfectly. I bet the cases come out piping hot too.
Nothing really wrong with it its just a little over gassed.

Most of the good barrel makers are doing it by hand and they make mistakes too. What are your symptoms?

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Ok thanks I'll try that. I have cleaned it inside and out with my sonic cleaner and it still has that nasty blowback... Not bad at all on the first shot so what you have said makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help! (it's been 4 days since I've talked to Olympic and they still haunt gotten back to ma about what they will do to fix it... I'd suggest people to go with a D-Tech instead of Olympic!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

BTT I mean some kind of compensation for gunsmithing costs.