Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Have you ever had a bad barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

Have you ever had a bad barrel?

Has anyone ever gotten a bad barrel? What did the company do to make it right?
Did they admit it was the barrel? Were you satisfied with the final outcome?
Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Have you ever had a bad barrel?

I've had a couple that didn't group well, but none that I could say were defective.

I have heard of others who have had barrels that were clearly defective and in most cases, the mfg made it right.

-- richard
Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

i bought an olympic ar-15 243 wssm upper. the gun would not eject the spent shell, or if it did, the bolt wouldnt go back far enough for it to pick up the next round. I sent it back and they found out that the gasport was off of center by 9 degrees. they said that it burnt a hole in the gas block and they would have to replace both the gasblock and the barrel.

Well i got it back all i had to pay was shipping to them. the barrel was black when i sent it to them and the one i got back was a stainless steel grey color. I broke in the barrel and have been trying to work up a load for it. best group so far has been .58 at 100 yards. however, i havnt found a reliable load that i like so far. the spent brass is caked with powder residue and nicked pretty bad. factory and reloads alike.. not sure what this is from but is has been like that ever since i got it back from them.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I've had a couple that didn't group well, but none that I could say were defective.

I have heard of others who have had barrels that were clearly defective and in most cases, the mfg made it right.

-- richard
By make it right: did they reimburse anything for the cost of chambering a new barrel?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

In one case, some early rifles of a particular make left the factory with the rifling messed up. The maker replaced the barrels.

In other cases, folks have had their gunsmith "fix" or rebarrel a rifle without first contacting the manufacturer. They did not get compensated. Which is as I would expect.

I seriously doubt they would ever reimburse anything. Their obligation is to fix or replace their product.

-- richard
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Yoshie, I am not familar at all with your rifle, but that does not look right at all. It looks like you have sever blow back in chamber, not sealing up, or timing. But it looks way wrong. I only have a few friend w/ar type and dont look anything like your picts.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

I recieved a new barrel blank a few yrs back from a very respected barrel company.First thing I did was run the borescope down it (do it with all of them)and found excessive tool marking.Contacted them,got the OK to send it back and recieved a new one in two days with an apology that it even made it out the door.Dont take anything for granted.