Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The thread is closed

(HAT) Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet 338 Rum Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: (HAT) Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet 338 Rum Test

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel carlson View Post
Mark,

The current hunt ZA338 has a plastic densified tungsten core, instead of bonded tin/bismuth. This brings it's weight up to 300 grains, and increases gyroscopic stability.

It is compatible in a 10" twist barrel, and maintains the form factor of the earlier versions. The ZA30 will also be stable from conventional twists at 200+ grains.

Mr. Henson,

Would you like to run the 30 calibers through the instruments also?

Best,
Noel
Interesting Noel, do you have a projected BC for these bullets? (careful, you're stepping into the lions den) Do you have any data or pictures of them and are they available yet? And are you still pursuing the monometals? I'm hoping to get some custum rebarrels done in the not too distant future and planning on 8 or 9 twists.

Thanks,

Mark

Unread 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
I bought a bunch of 210's but have only shot a few. My barrel didn't like them, it's possible it was a twist issue. I'll see how they do with the new barrel. Hopefully they'll be accurate enough I can shoot over the chronographs with them.
Thanks Jon, maybe you can go be the RSO for Noel and Greyghost

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 02-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Mark,

I have a fairly good idea of the BC values for these projectiles, but I will wait for independent verification before publication... I am sure you can understand why.

Yes, the monometal bullets will be offered right along with the PDT core projectiles. If you are willing to mount a barrel with the required rifling geometry, the cost savings will more than justify the investment. Both can be fired from the same barrel. I just decided that it would be a very long time before, even dedicated, shooters would appreciate the advantages of the 6.0+ caliber solids, and magazine dimensions are problematic.
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

P.S.;

Some recent construction details prevent me from posting photographs at present, however; the overall form is very similar to the photos shown in the thread started by Eric Stecker.
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel carlson View Post
Mark,

I have a fairly good idea of the BC values for these projectiles, but I will wait for independent verification before publication... I am sure you can understand why.

Yes, the monometal bullets will be offered right along with the PDT core projectiles. If you are willing to mount a barrel with the required rifling geometry, the cost savings will more than justify the investment. Both can be fired from the same barrel. I just decided that it would be a very long time before, even dedicated, shooters would appreciate the advantages of the 6.0+ caliber solids, and magazine dimensions are problematic.
Thanks Noel, I 'll be patiently waiting in an impatient sorta way. Keep us posted
Unread 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Personally this BC thing seems to be a ******* contest! Unless someone is shooting doppler radar the numbers will always be suspect! Barometric pressure isn't constant and neither is temperature.

Now there are others that can devise a better plan than I, but IMO, to calculate drops NOTHING should change!

IMO, the shooter should have a reasonable zero, LV used 400 yards.
The shooter should not adjust the scope as that WILL induce error!
Shoot a 100 yard target, and as many intermediate targets as he is inclined to shoot out to the maximum distance available.
Targets should be interchanged long /short, short/long thereby showing any changes in conditions...and followed by a shot at the zero distance. EG: 100 / 1000, 900 / 200, 300 / 800 etc.

IMO, unless someone sets out to deceive their audience, the drops will give a good 3d picture of the trajectory.

This is a test that anyone could or should be able to reproduce. Obviously a charlatan could just adjust the point of aim to make any drop work, but if 2 or 3 other shooters could not reproduce the results then the hoax should be unveiled quickly! Anyone with Excel can use the drops to show where his/her bullet should land based on those numbers!

edge.

Last edited by edge; 02-01-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Unread 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Edge,

The system to be used for this evaluation is soon to be released by SAAB, and will be administered by one of their represenatives.

There will be no smoke, and mirrors.

Best,
Noel
The thread is closed