Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The thread is closed

(HAT) Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet 338 Rum Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: (HAT) Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet 338 Rum Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREYGHOSTt View Post
...PS bryan you are spending way too much time on longrange hunting you should be at berger
getting those 338 berger bullets out the door. So we can test them against the hats on video with lotts of witness...........
Yeah, I'm sure you think he's spending too much time here disproving your claims! That would upset me too!

-X3M

P.S. Bryan, keep up the good work!

Unread 01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Although I have been known to take the odd long shot at targets, it is hunting that I am mostly interested in..

It is the long range terminal performance of these HAT's bullets on game that I would like to know more about. How do they go when the velocity is way down? To have an advantage over existing bullets they need to expand when others will not.
I would like to see some pictures of game shot and reports of how the bullet performed.
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

I agree with topshot, the terminal performance is what has to set them apart, high ballistics coefficient is a given, for the price of these.

I think testing them vs the future 338 Bergers isn't too smart because ballisticly, they may win by a bit, but the Berger int as likely to come out with a gen IIII requiring new load work up, and doesn't cost near as much. I think the bergers will be rather tough competition.

And if you want to video that with witnesses, why not just have a few guys test them and post results here. Like I said, offer sample boxes of around 50 bullets to people for a reduced price and then if your bullets are as good as your convinced, the good publicity will flow right in.
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Instead of choosing a side (Bryan's or GG's) why dont you all just try them. GG has offered to give you your money back if youre not happy with them and you can be on your own side. If youre not willing to give them a try why contribute to the bashing? Shoot them first, then bash. Nobody here has asked Bryan to get third party testing to prove his BC numbers. Why? Because we buy Berger bullets and we find the BC's to be very close if not spot on. Of the shooters who have used HATs, how many have claimed that HATs are bogus bullets that are not worth the lead that is in them? They made a choice to buy them, try them and so far have had some measure of success with them. If you dont have the b@!!s to try them and offer an educated and valid opinion then shut the he!! up and hold your peace.

It would be really sad if Bryan was spot on with his BC and GG was spot on with the drop values due to some other unknown variable. If that was the case, they would both in a sense be right. Granted, if they had a given BC and drops that didnt corrospond that would lead to other issues but that is not the point here. The point here is that we are running GG down with NO proof of our own to back it up. We are all taking Bryan's figures as concrete evidence that GG is phony and has no credibility when none of us have all the facts. Bryan admitted he shot them using TOF insturments and never shot them for drops. He may be qualified to offer a BC figure but cannot be qualified for offering drop values. Drop values are very predictable using accurate BCs. That is using KNOWN variables such as jacketed lead be it hollow point or soft point. Has anybody ever tested a 338 or 308 caliber bullet with a large portion of aluminum in the nose? Who is to say that the aluminum doesnt offer another variable that affects or alters the way the bullet flies that we have not yet predicted or discovered? Bryan's BC is probably very close to what he claims. That doesnt meen that is all there is to it especially with materials that are not typical.

if it comes out that the HATs drop as advertised regardless of the BC, GG's name is still mud around here and that is sad. Who is going to have the b@!!s to offer an appology if that turnes out to be the case? Most likely not very many. If we cannot give GG the benefit of the doubt and declare him guilty before proven inoccent than who would have the charecter to appologize for running him down?

My point here is not to take sides or say that HATs work or do not work as advertised. I have not yet tried them and have no opinion on them yet. Just want to remind everybody that your words may come back to you where you may have to eat them. Make sure they taste good.

All the bashing and finger pointing in this thread brings nothing positive to this site. Try them or leave the mud and flame out of your posts.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 01-30-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:05 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel carlson View Post
GG,

"But any day you want to come out to the range and prove your verbose claims bring it on!!!!!!!!... So we can test them against the hats on video with lotts of witnesses "... Bryan, and I, talked briefly last week about testing a new line of magazine compatible ZA hunt projectiles in both 30, and 338 caliber. Would you be interested in extending your invitation to me?

As a footnote; Bryan is anything but verbose.
Sure bring your 338 expandables. Mr. Carlson or Litz come down here as we have a new 85 pound 340 Weatherby Improved smithed by Kelbly in Ohio. 1.450" diameter Lilja barrel, barrel block, McMillan lead-filled 50 BMG stock, with a Big Bore Panda action.(Free recoil is a wonderful thing) We also have a spanking new Squires 1K rest as well. If you do not like that one, we have several other custom bench guns in 338-378 Weatherby, 338 Lapua Improved, 338 Edge and unfortunately, the 338 RUM that has raised such a big stink is at Kevin Wyatt for a magazine extension.
But just in case these don't fit your hand bring your test guns.

Last edited by GREYGHOSTt; 01-30-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Although I have been known to take the odd long shot at targets, it is hunting that I am mostly interested in..

It is the long range terminal performance of these HAT's bullets on game that I would like to know more about. How do they go when the velocity is way down? To have an advantage over existing bullets they need to expand when others will not.
I would like to see some pictures of game shot and reports of how the bullet performed.
You need to look at Eddybo's post on the 7 elk fall to the Allen magnum.
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Michael,

I agree with you that "taking sides", on something like this, is a silly thing to do. I disagree that this thread is devoid of facts.

GG has actually proposed a very effective way to put this one to bed. If he is serious about a joint demonstration, I am in.

We could include some impact testing while we are at it.

GG,

I will coordinate the logistics on my side, and inform you of the details.
The thread is closed