Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Has anyone used matrix bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Has anyone used matrix bullets?

If you are interested in these you might want to have a look on canadiangnunutz.com, might be a bit more info since it is a canadian site.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
If you are interested in these you might want to have a look on canadiangnunutz.com, might be a bit more info since it is a canadian site.
Thanks. I will check that out.

Although I am sure someone on this board has some practical experience with these bullets.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Steve,

When did this outfit come about? First I've heard of them.

From what I saw on their web site, the sample targets didn't look to good.

The bullet pic with the core shedding out of the jacket wasn't too impressive for a "bonded" bullet.

Neither did they have a heavy 270 bullet.

Never having shot them, and probably won't as they don't have the type I need, we'll have to wait until someone else chimes in.
Roy, Marshall sent me some 165 .277 last week I have loaded up
15 rds with retumbo 69.5, 70 , & 70.5 all seated exactly as my 169.5 wildcats just touching the lands. I was going to shoot today but it's so darn cold here today I decided to see if it might be a tad bit warmer next saturday . these 165's I believe are a match grade non bonded and look to be vary similar to the Berger 150 VLD but a longer bullet 13 caliber ogive I believe you would have to check with Marshall for sure. THey are not the ULD RBBT but a boat tail VLD, it is only about .005 different in total lenth than the last single 169.5 origanal Richerd Graves bullet I have left. Matrix is actually a little longer.
Matrix 165 1.431
wildcat 169.5 1.426 they will vary ofcoarse due to the meplat
the Matrix has a smaller bearing surface, they will be over .700 bc I'm positive.
I do have a friend who is a wildlife office and have already contacted him as to using my gun & the Matrix bullet for some deer control if the oppertunity arises
I to am interestd to see how they perform on game I will let you all know hopefully next Saturday.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Roundss I noticed you had a combined technoligy in there . Not to cut there bullet but my experience with combined technoligy wasn't to impressive, mabey I wasn't going fast enough but they didn't expand on a mountian goat I shoot a few years ago. Killed it eventually but I think I could have killed it quicker anD more humane with my bow. How has your experience been with them?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

I know im not the one you asked but I did shoot 180gr. combined tech's out of a 300rum with excellent results on elk, deer, and black bears.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 lefty View Post
r.
Matrix 165 1.431
wildcat 169.5 1.426 they will vary of coarse due to the meplat
the Matrix has a smaller bearing surface, they will be over .700 bc I'm positive.

Thanks for the info. I don't think the web page fully described all of their bullets.

I'm getting several reports that they are similar to bergers in appearance.

I as usual jumped to a conclusion a bit prematurely.

The shorter bearing surface is good news!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Marshall said the 165 will be available soon with 175 close behind

Screech the combined I used were 165's out of an 06 I think maybe they were to slow for there best performance . but one of my good friends put 8 of them in a Nevada bull elk (currently #2 typical) before it went down only recovered one that went from ass end to front shoulder still not much expantion. but these were the older failsafe he was using a 300 win mag.