Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Has anyone ever Moly coated Lost River Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Chawlston

Has anyone ever Moly coated Lost River Bullets

Hello,

I am interested to see if anyone has any results with moly coating these bullets. The GS custom bullets are all moly coated and since they shoot well in my gun and are monolithic, I was curious as to what the results from moly coating Lost River bullets would be. Thanks in advance.

Chawlston
Old 04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Has anyone ever Moly coated Lost River Bullets

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

I am interested to see if anyone has any results with moly coating these bullets. The GS custom bullets are all moly coated and since they shoot well in my gun and are monolithic, I was curious as to what the results from moly coating Lost River bullets would be. Thanks in advance.

Chawlston

[/ QUOTE ] Chawlston: after reading your other post about the GS bullets it left me with a question about your gear. The Hall action Hart barreled 30 SUPER is that a 1000 yard bench gun? If so I've read a number of negative posts on other forms about Lost River bullets amongst 1000 yard bench shooters that I'm curious if you have had good luck with there bullets? I have heard people willing to give them away in discuss. Is this not the case, are they an accurate bullet? As far as coating goes, I say yes. It has more going for it than anyother thing I've seen to help reduce pressure and extend barrel life! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Chawlston

The rifle that is the 30 Super is a Hall repeater (he did not make many of these). And, yes it closely resembles a 1000yd light gun.

One the Lost river issue, I can get the 140s @ 3650 fps to shoot in the same hole for the first five shots on a clean barrel and then they start to open up a bit. I am sure it is a pressure issue and I was just curious if anyone had tested them in a moly-coated configuration similar to the GS bullets.

Since they will shoot in a hole until the fouling builds up, I am going to try some moly and see if it will make it a viable option for long range hunting.

Chawlston
Old 04-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
As far as <font color="red"> MOLY </font> coating goes, I say yes. It has more going for it than anyother thing I've seen to help reduce pressure and extend barrel life! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell there is no definitive evidence on barrel life - only fouling and initial pressure.
Lilja cautions against using them for barrel break in and he also writes: [ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> at the risk of offending those that promote the use of moly, we can't see much benefit to it for a couple of reasons. </font>

[/ QUOTE ] see Lilja on Moly

I want to avoid a religious debate so I'm just looking for objective/reproducible data, not anecdotes or testimonies.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

I tried a few of the 250 grain J40 .338 bullets (got them free).
I molyed them before testing them at 300 yards.
They were not terrible as others have reported (maybe just under MOA), but they weren't as good as the 300SMKs (~1/3 MOA).
They are reported to be made from a tough alloy. GS custom are pure copper.
Search "Lost River" on this site. You will find info by Dantec on this topic.

While Lilja is not for moly in general, he does state in Big bore's link that solid bullets are the exception. In this case he does recommend it.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as <font color="red"> MOLY </font> coating goes, I say yes. It has more going for it than anyother thing I've seen to help reduce pressure and extend barrel life! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell there is no definitive evidence on barrel life - only fouling and initial pressure.
Lilja cautions against using them for barrel break in and he also writes: [ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> at the risk of offending those that promote the use of moly, we can't see much benefit to it for a couple of reasons. </font>

[/ QUOTE ] see Lilja on Moly

I want to avoid a religious debate so I'm just looking for objective/reproducible data, not anecdotes or testimonies.

[/ QUOTE ] Then I guess his shortness has no farther to look than Norma ? Gee, I can not think of why a Barrel maker would not just do anything they could to help you prolong the life of a barrel, what would be there possible motive? Barrel makers are not in the business of selling rifle barrels! I don't sell any of the above, moly or rifle barrels. I do however have a bore-scope and can see the difference in the throats of the barrels that use moly and those that don't! And I do own a bunch of Lilja barrels, why? Because they shoot vary well. I'm only a consumer not a salesman for either side. I know I'm not the only shooter that keeps records on his barrels, or owns a Hawk-eye bore-scope. What does that mean to you? Nothing I hope, find out for yourself! I think there is a easy way to find out for yourself for a cost of just a few thousand dollars. If you already have a rifle set-up for a switch barrel, and own a bore-scope, buy a pair of barrel blanks from a top barrel maker and have them chambered by your smith to the same chamber cut with the same reamer. Shoot the same loads in both (one barrel with moly the other without). Check each bore each time you clean with your bore scope while keeping records of the number of rounds fired in each barrel. Keep a watchful eye on the throats of both. Report back to us at the end of two thousand rounds fired in each barrel your observations. As long as you don't become a moly salesman or a barrel maker then perhaps someone may think your observations are on the level. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] P.S. I look forward to hearing from you in a year, your reply! Or would this be an anecdote or a testimony??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Chawlston

I don't have a say either way about Moly coating them but i don't think it will help your fowling out any. The Lost Rivers are reported, like Richard said, to be a tougher alloy compared to other bullets. They are also smaller in diameter compared to other bullets.

At least that is what i found out in doing research on them for the caliber i am going to be building this summer. In talking to guys shooting the Lostrivers and lathe turned bullets they all thought the copper build up was from the bullets being undersized and hard, thus not makeing a good seal in the bore. So i undertook the project to make some jacketed bullets (with the help of Wildcat bullets) to try and help solve the issue of copper build up.

Would be interested to see what your results are with moly(long term)