Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hart vs Lilja

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

Hart vs Lilja

What does everyone think is a better choice ?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hart vs Lilja

I can't sit here and tell you that one is better than the other. Those two companies make top notch barrels. I would call both and see what the wait times are and go with the one with the shortest wait time.

With those two barrel makers, it wont be the barrel that makes it shoot but the smith that puts it all together. If you have a good smith doing your work then either of those companies barrels will be awesome shooters.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Well I'm building my buddies rifle that just passed can u point me in a direction of a good smith? It a weatherby and everyone I'm talking to would rather not do it cuz its not some type of 700
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Google these guys companies to get their website and see if they will do it for you.

Center Shot Rifles

Montour County Rifles

If you go to the Sponsor site on here, there are a list of a ton of good smiths that are sponsors on this website.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f110/
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I have both Hart and Lilja barrels.

All I can tell you is both have produced outstanding accuracy. I have an action at Hart bbls right now and they will mate a bbl to the action soon. Hopefully by this November.

One of the best smiths I know who retired from making guns and (he used to make bbls) advised I go with Hart. He did several Liljas with good results but had some with issues and he apparently got no results from Mr. Lilja. He then began using Hart and stated he never received a bad bbl.

I think Shawn uses Hart exclusively on his builds and he may have started this by referencing bench rest records.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'd prefer to go with Hart, but would not stress over having to go with Lilja. The Hart's, especially in 338, that I've had or been around, have been excellent. My general rule is to let whoever builds it have some leeway in deciding which barrel. It's going to be his name on the finished project. It's worked pretty well for me.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I'd prefer to go with Hart, but would not stress over having to go with Lilja. The Hart's, especially in 338, that I've had or been around, have been excellent. My general rule is to let whoever builds it have some leeway in deciding which barrel. It's going to be his name on the finished project. It's worked pretty well for me.
I second this entire post. And will add the last few Harts I used in 7mm were very very good shooters too.

Jeff