Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Harry Lawson Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Harry Lawson Rifles

How is their work at Harry Lawson LLC. I have a gun I am think of sending in for rebarrel. They are out of Az.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Harry Lawson Rifles

How is their work? Excellent!

Harry Lawson started the business and is now deceased. Randy Lawson, his son, is the owner and Joe Reid is the main metal gunsmith that works with him. Randy primarily does the stock work. There is a high demand for their proprietary thumbhole stocks and that keeps Randy very busy. His backlog for the stocks is approx 2-3 months.

I have had Joe put on or alter over 30 barrels over the years. Also have had complete buildups including blueing. They are very good at listening and following your instructions. I have used their reamers but now days I order my reamers from Dave Kiff to my specs.

My friend Dan also loves the work they do. We just keep coming up with ideas and rifles. In the last two years Dan and I had Lawson built four 257 weatherbys, one 338 RUM, two 7 STWs, one 7 RUM, one 22-250 AI, one 30 BR and a 7 rem mag and we are far from done!

It probably sounds crazy but all of Dan's and my rifles are shooters. We do all we can with our handloading but the best efforts done by us wouldn't do much good if the rifle isn't sound and the rifles are sound.

They will work with a barrel you send or use a douglas which they usually have in stock.
Turn around time is approx 3-4 weeks these days.

I am in there as often as once a week. When you call tell them you talked to Ross. That ought to make them grin.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Thanks and will do Ross.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

Haven't used them for a rebarrel, but my brother and I have both had trigger, brakes and bedding jobs on factory rifles done by Lawson.

My brothers factory (except for the Lawson work) Rem 700 BDL 300 RUM, shoots 100 yd 3 shot groups that all touch after the trigger/brake/bedding job on an otherwise factory rifle.

Like has already been posted, they listen to your goals/desires, and then give some great advice on how to get there.

I recommend them based on the work/results/experience I've had with them.