Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

harrington/richardson-nef handi rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

harrington/richardson-nef handi rifle?

Any feedback? Have seen some of the stuff on line about this.I am looking for a single shot,lightweight,chambered in 25/06 w 26 barrel.Have a bolt action 700 already in this caliber but my requirements are- to have this fit a saddle scabbard well,can save overall length.lightweight. mountain rifle/sheep etc.Has anyone tried this synthetic/stainless rifle for this purpose?thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: harrington/richardson-nef handi rifle?

I'd look for a little more quality weapon, such as the Thompson Encore in .25-06. They offer them in .25-06.

Also, you can have the .25-06 chamber opened up to .25-06 Ackley Improved, and gain a significant amount of velocity with the heavier 110-115gr bullets.

I love my .25-06 AI.

Another great feature of the Thompson/Center rifles is that barrels quickly swap on and off, so you can pretty much buy infinite barrels for just about any caliber you want to shoot. You can even have custom barrels made for shooting wildcat and custom calibers, for significantly less than what building a whole new rifle would cost.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

The H&R only offers a stainless receiver in the .45-70 GOVT. you can then get additional stainless barrels which I have done, but they do not offer a .25-06 in stainless. they offer a .223, 30-06 and a .270. I don't think they are going any more SS barrels any more based on a conversation I had with a smith at their factory. to achieve a .25-06, you would have to buy a .223 stainless barrel, drill, ream and rifle, then chamber. this is possible but it costs about five hundred dollars. I looked into it for chambering it in a 6.5mm-06. however, you are still shooting a H&R which is not bad at 300 yards but I haven't shot mine past that. like Mudrunner said, the Thompson center is a better rifle and you don't have to ship your rifle back to the factory to have another barrel fitted, you can buy them off the shelf.

The H&R does make a blued .25-06 with laminate stock in the Ultra Hunter Rifle but that is the only model that comes factory .25-06. you can look at this page to see their barrel accessory program for costs.
H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program
depending on what you want to do, if SS is a must, then you may as well get a Thompson because I am not sure it will be cheaper to get an H&R. if not, and long range isn't that critical, you could go for the ultra hunter rifle.

one more quick note. the trigger pull from factory is aobut 8#. you have to do some serious modification to get it to 3#. filing and brazing is involved. so consider that too.

GOod Luck
Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

thanks for info..weight is a issue to me,hence the synthetic/ss doesn't really matter.trigger matters much.take care
Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

While they are for sure 'handi', they are also among the least accurate of firearms made today.
Seriously, today's slug guns are more accurate.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

Don't waste your money! I owned one with two different barrels cause I could not get the first one to shoot so I thought I would try a different barrel....not.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the feedback,What about the thompson center fire equivalent? I cannot see a product out there for these purposes.have several very good bolt action mtn riFles, ruger #1 as well.Have owned several lever action rifles.It is simple-clean lines,24 Min)" barrell length(25/06).Light,Easy in and out of saddle scabbard ,Short enough to be used with a saddle boot.single shot.consistantly accurate/keeps poi in tough conditions.pretty doesn't matter.Any horseman/hunters out there know what I mean?