Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Handy wind charts to print

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Handy wind charts to print

Its been a while since ive seen those charts! Years in fact! These are very common in the smallbore (rimfire) 3position rifle world, and the effect is observable, but not completly consistant across all rifles with all ammo... or at all ranges for that matter. shooting only a very, very few rounds of 22rf at 100yds on a windy day will show you that this stuff happens. How much and to what extent however, is something you have to learn yourself.

Just for referance... and since this is LRH... my 220SMK load takes 2 MOA less elevation in a 10mph wind from the east (right) than it does from the west (left) at 1350... and thats allowing 1 MOA for the differances in air density due to temp changes.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm Those are Speedy's charts that I posted a while back and they are not geared for the 6PPC. They are right hand twist barrels and are good for any bullet. The only difference would be the distance pushed due to the BC. Anybody wants the actual file for all of this I have it or you can get them from Speedy. They do work as it helped me win the last IBS 1000yd match I shot in. The wind is your friend.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I said the charts correlate to the bullets we use for shooting long range didn't I? They came from a site that deals mostly with 6ppc's and they show impact values for 6mm match bullets with 6-8 caliber ogives did they not? Our bullets will still follow the pattern but have different wind deflection magnitudes based off higher bc's as you said.

And not to be a jerk, but I didn't get these from you. I got them from a local NBRSA shooter in SLC, Utah by the name of Mike Paul who was also the one who posted them on BR central in the thread I saw. He did mention they came from your buddy speedy though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Tell him thanks for us as you probably don't live too far from him. That would be nice to have a guy like that in your backyard. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Yes it is we eat lunch together most Fridays(not this friday as I will be on the road to shoot in Missouri) and Speedy put that together years ago for all bullets not the just 6PPC. You can call him to ask if you want. Would not want people to get the wrong idea that that chart was specific to caliber. To quote Speedy "physics are physics". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Bronze Member

Ya.... I was calling Speedy on a small bolt faced Nesika bolt he had for sale last year and he emailed the same chart too me...it is very helpful
Old 08-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Bronze Member

Hi to all. Great sight, I've been reading awhile but never posted (as if you didn't already know that!!)

I'm just trying to get this straight in my own mind so here goes.

Chart 1 shows impact slightly Left with a 6 o'clock wind and slightly right with a 12. Is this due to a rifle being bore sighted only or just a higher degree of accuracy than the other charts.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Right hand twist. Left hand twist will be the reverse.

Much like a baseball pitcher and the laces on a baseball making it curve one way or the other.