Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Handy wind charts to print

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Handy wind charts to print

Found these on benchrest central and thought maybe some guys here would like to copy them even though they are more geared for the 6ppc. They still have a correlation to what we do with bigger calibers at longer distances. Enjoy.

Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Handy wind charts to print

Not trying to be stupid but what is this for and how do you use it?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Screech

I am lost to

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 08-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

gg,

Good post. Ned Bench came to one of our BR shoots here in Blackfoot, many years ago. I had no idea of what he was talking about then and still didn't didn't until I saw this post. The light came on about 30 years after the switch was thrown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Still out shot him, that day [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 09:24 PM
SPONSOR

But how far @ what distance??? I understand the point behind the charts, but fail to see that it has any real world use other than maybe using it to somewhat explain observations in varying shooting conditions. Kind of a theory that one must try on their own to actually use.

I can say that after seeing this I will start looking much closer @ how my comeups are related to wind direction though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!! Seems as though I just explained it to myself [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Don't worry about the bullet displacemant in the graphs.

Use the graphs when shooting and you are paying attention to what direction the wind is coming from, then shoot. If you have good dope and then have a flyer that is unusual you can correlate to the graphs and wind direction you observed and then logg it in your book or in memory.

Just another usefull tool
Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

The first chart shows where the bullet would impact if the wind pushed it from 1, 2, 3, 10, and 12 o clock etc.

So the shooter is in the middle of the circle and gets a wind from 5 oclock. The bullet would land high and to the left but not as far to the left as if it would have been a 4 oclock wind. But the 5 oclock wind goes higher than the 4 oclock wind and so on. This is a good chart to see the percentages of wind effect on the bullet or what BR shooters call wind "value".

The second chart is similiar to the first but doesn't show quite as well the percentage effect or value. More shows the impact than value.

Third chart is connected to the second and I can't see any difference in it.

The fourth chart shows the impacts and values for differences in wind velocity and value. The diagram at the top of the chart is particularly useful as it shows the tendency of bullets to fly from a right hand twist.

As Bill figured out and Matt27 mentioned, this helps long range shooters figure out why they missed and helps them correct for varying winds when they keep a good log book or have a good memory!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.