Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

H.S. Precision stock ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

H.S. Precision stock ???

Have had my H.S. stock now for a few years, and I have just reciently figured out that I need to trim off a few inches off the back end. Is this something that can be done, or do I need to sell it, and order a new one. The reason why is at full power on my scope I do not have a full sight picture (not sure if sight picture is the right term), and the scope is adjusted all the way back.

Or if anyone has any other ideas. I have a Leupol VX-3 with the standard Leupol 2pc base. Any ideas, or help is appreciated.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: H.S. Precision stock ???

Can you post a picture of your current setup? Are you leaning towards the scope? There are offset rings available to shift the scope further forward or rearward.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
Have had my H.S. stock now for a few years, and I have just reciently figured out that I need to trim off a few inches off the back end. Is this something that can be done, or do I need to sell it, and order a new one. The reason why is at full power on my scope I do not have a full sight picture (not sure if sight picture is the right term), and the scope is adjusted all the way back.

Or if anyone has any other ideas. I have a Leupold VX-3 with the standard Leupold 2pc base. Any ideas, or help is appreciated.

If the length of pull is correct for you then the scope is set up wrong or the bases are wrong
for the scope.(Will not allow you to place the scope in the right place).

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

I feel dumb asking, but how do you tell if you tength of pull is set correct. It is a standard length stock, and I have to move my head forward when the power is turned up. I am at work right now, but can post some pictures when I get home.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

A simple rule of thumb is to hold the rifle at the grip with your shooting hand and the butt resting on your forearm. Ideally the buttpad should just barely reach the crook of your elbow. Unless you are short (maybe 5'4" or under) or exceptionally tall (6'5"?) the stock should fit OK. Your eye should be 3-4 inches from the rear of the scope.

Your 2 piece bases are both reversible so they alone can provide 4 different ring locations. It can really vary but your magnification ring should be sitting over the receiver bridge, just behind the rear ring. This rear ring should be in the forward position on the base. This will allow the scope to start in its forward most position and allow you to bring it further back only if necessary.

You can also take a tape measurement from the center of trigger to the center of buttpad. Its probably around 13-13.5" This is called the length of pull.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfus View Post
A simple rule of thumb is to hold the rifle at the grip with your shooting hand and the butt resting on your forearm. Ideally the buttpad should just barely reach the crook of your elbow. Unless you are short (maybe 5'4" or under) or exceptionally tall (6'5"?) the stock should fit OK. Your eye should be 3-4 inches from the rear of the scope.

Your 2 piece bases are both reversible so they alone can provide 4 different ring locations. It can really vary but your magnification ring should be sitting over the receiver bridge, just behind the rear ring. This rear ring should be in the forward position on the base. This will allow the scope to start in its forward most position and allow you to bring it further back only if necessary.

You can also take a tape measurement from the center of trigger to the center of buttpad. Its probably around 13-13.5" This is called the length of pull.
+1
Well said.

Also if your length of pull is right you can go to a picatinny base and a scope with lots of eye
relief (The Leupold's have the most) and set the scope at the highest power.

Post a picture and maybe we can help.

Don't Stress.It is a common problem that can be worked out and has happened to all.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Thanks yall. I get off from work tomarrow morning, and I will post a picture.

Thanks for the help.