Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Guns across boarder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Guns across boarder

I am not sure this is the right place for this. I am moving to Anchorage, AK and im gonna be driving through Canada and dont know how to go about taking my guns. I want to take about 10. I dont know how all this gun control bs is gonna turn out so im asking on a present day angle. Some are registered others may not be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. None all are standard hunting rifles and shotguns and handguns nothin high capacity or anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Guns across boarder

Go online in the web site of Canada and you will find requirements. Hand guns are a no-no item.If it were me I would have them shipped by Us FFL dealer to FFL dealer in Alaska..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanks i guess i need to look at the regs. I just thought i would understand it better from someone who has experienced it
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Gold Member

the canadians at the border crossings are reasonable, BUT don't trust anyone on the net other than the canadian gov't site, as things change from time to time. and READ ALL the reg's, handguns are NOT allowed, ship them.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Off topic, but as a Canadian, lemme tell ya- even if it isn't "high capacity" in the States doesn't mean it's not considered high capacity here.

Magazine capacity limits are as follows:
No more than 5 rounds in any centerfire, semiautomatic rifle
No more than 5 rounds in any centerfire, semiautomatic shotgun
No more than 10 rounds in any semiautomatic handgun
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member

Not too sure about the long guns... but I do know if you show up at the border with a hand gun, your're gonna be in a big pile of crap! Up here in Canada, pistols / hand guns are "strictly restricted". Best I could say is the FFL dealer to FFL dealer shipping thing.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - Home <~~ official web site (if you can understand it)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the help. i think i am gonna ship my handguns and carry about half of my long guns with me. I read the regs but didnt understand it all so im just gonna try to play it safe instead push the limits. Wish i could take all my ammo guess i will juat have to do some shooting before i go.