Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

GS Custom Bullets. Has anybody tried these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

GS Custom Bullets. Has anybody tried these?

Has anybody used these bullets on live game? I spent an hour reading all about them. If they are half as good as they read, they will be a wonder! I don't believe I've ever seen a bullet maker have pics of meat damage using there bullets before. GS Custom Bullets
Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: GS Custom Bullets. Has anybody tried these?

They come from South Africa and have been known to disappear in shipping or just never show up for what ever reason. Tis why I've never ordered any myself. I did have a friend send me some .416 310gr HV's and they shoot ok, just haven't had the chance to shoot them seriously, just sight in before a bear hunt last spring for close range. I still have 30-40 but I'm saving them for the testing I wanted to do and didn't have time back then.

Gerard was suppose to get a dealer here in the US last year or the year before but to my knowledge still has yet to do so successfully, and I won't order until that's a done deal. Too many horror stories about failed deliveries and no response from Gerard over missing orders to take the chance. I can post a pic of the 310 HV if you're interested?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Well I guess not now, another blind alley. Who wants to get ripped off? Thanks for the info, I would sure hate losing a few hundred dollars finding that out.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

While in South Africa, my PH introduced me to Gerard after he and I discussed some SA products. Gerard came over to the camp, brought his daughter and slideshow of info. I had previously researched his bullets a couple years prior and wanted to give them a try.

After meeting with him, he offered to load some of his bullets to try on my hunt for a black wildebeest. He invited us to his shop, gave us a tour and proceded to sit down and load 20 300WM rounds. Went that evening and sighted in.

Long story short, took my wildebeest at 250m frontal shot. Full penetration, no bullet found, heart and lungs were gellatin. Ended up buying 100 7mm bullets, 100 270 bullets, and 100 243 bullets.....$300+

Have tried them on hogs and deer and I must say.....THEY ARE THE BEST BULLETS EVER made. However, I have not tried them over 330yds....never had the chance.

His precision and quality control is amazing at his shop. I have shot some great groups at 100yds.

With all this said....I did not choose his bullets for my new 280AI from Kirby....they end up costing $1.00+ per bullet after shipping.

I have some left over if you would like to try a handful???

Should mention, i have also ordered from them shipped to USA and had no problems. Many of the shipping problems have been solved but it would be nice to have a dealer in US.

Later,
Kyle
Old 04-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Yes! I love them. I shoot the 330 HV in my 416 WBY Magnum. I shot an antelope at 452 yards with it and even though it was a big bullet it expanded brilliantly at that range! My load consists of RL 19 and this load sends 4 of those 330 gr bullets at 3100 fps into one hole at 100 yds. I got mine 10 days afetr I ordered them from S. Africa. Here is the doe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
and I must say.....THEY ARE THE BEST BULLETS EVER made.
Later,
Kyle

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, Yup, Yup!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

I want to try them in .224,.257,.264,.308,.338 and of course.375. There web-site makes them appear to be the best thing since sliced bread. I did send an e-mail to them yesterday and asked them about the shipping problems. I hope they reply that all is good now. I can see where a guy could really spend some money if they are as they claim they are. Well I can only hope! Is there a safe way to send funds overseas?