Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

GS CUSTOM, Berger, Barnes TTSX, or Swift Scirocco II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: GS CUSTOM, Berger, Barnes TTSX, or Swift Scirocco II

Never had issues with Bergers and meat loss, I think they are about an ideal balance of killing capability, accuracy and meat loss. I would grab a box of 230's hand down!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

As mentioned previously, Use good shot placement and you won't have any meat damage, poor placement and it won't matter which bullet you use.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
1. shoot a bigger bullet. meat damage mostly due to bullet TYPE/design/speed
2. berger destroys meat
3. barnes, in my experience, causes least meat damage
4. scirocco is excellent bonded bullet and meat damage is minimal
5. I suggest a minimum weight of 180
6. I recommend a 200 grain bullet
7. GS custom almost same as Barnes so stick with Barnes
Yeah, what he said, especially the Barnes plug. Awesome accuracy potential as well!

For what it is worth, with the velocity potential you have, you absolutely must use a bullet of good construction, and put even better, heavier then what you have mentioned. ( been there, done that BTW). Yeah, it will amaze you when you shoot through a chronograph. But, one of the two following things ARE going to happen. The bullet will grenade on impact, resulting in a HUGE flesh wound, ( and a tracking job ), or you are going to damage so much meat, the waste will be a shame.
I used to shoot a 300 RUM, and bullet selection and speed were always something to be considered.
Good luck in your choices.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Meat loss comes first from poor placement. Then it greatly depends on velocity so the bigger bullet do less destroying meat with the poor placed shots. I won't go into bullet type, but if you don't recover the animal till the next day or not at all that is a 100% loss in most cases. This is why I like watching them fold up in my scope and stay down and why I shoot Bergers.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member

The 160gr to small.......Bah. People kill elk with a .243. Also as to Barnes being nearly the same as GS........another.....Bah. Barnes is a grooved copper bullet, GS is a BORE RIDING copper bullet, no where close to the same. I have shot all the bullets named in the list in different calibers, the GS Custom is the best bullet,but you must pay the price. If you shoot the 160 GS in a 30-378 you are looking at a 160gr. in the close neighbor hood of 3600. That will pole ax an elk at 400yds. and a mulie or whitetail a lot farther than that.........my .02
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
The 160gr to small.......Bah. People kill elk with a .243. Also as to Barnes being nearly the same as GS........another.....Bah. Barnes is a grooved copper bullet, GS is a BORE RIDING copper bullet, no where close to the same. I have shot all the bullets named in the list in different calibers, the GS Custom is the best bullet,but you must pay the price. If you shoot the 160 GS in a 30-378 you are looking at a 160gr. in the close neighbor hood of 3600. That will pole ax an elk at 400yds. and a mulie or whitetail a lot farther than that.........my .02
Ba HAAA, the GS HV bullets are "drive banded." So close to the same that there's no recognizable difference when you walk up to your dead deer. The GS is a great bullet, but not worth the expense when the Barnes, a clearly similar bullet will render the same outcome.

An elk can die from a bullet launched from a 22-250. All you have to do is deflate the lungs and bleed it out. I agree, the 243 has been used to kill a lot of elk. So? I agree a 160 grain bullet is plenty for elk, but I suggest and still recommend a bigger bullet in the rifle the OP is using because he can.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Yes,They are drive banded also known as a bore rider, sir. Evidently you have never tested the GS against the others over a chrony. Here is another for you,sir. I will send tenhunter a GS Custom and you send him a Barnes for his 30-378. He can take a wooden dowel after he starts the bullet in the bore,and drive it through with the dowel and a wooden mallet. Then he can do the same with your almighty Barnes and when it hangs in his barrel. You pay for the removal, better yet put one of your own rifles up for the test. Then tell me how much the same they are. I have shot loads in my 7stw with 80grs. of powder. with a 140gr GS and a 120gr Barnes over the chrony and the 140 GS is faster,due to less friction, and thats 20gr more bullet, sir..............now thats my $1.00 worth on that one.........Do some research...........AND TESTING>......