Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

GS bullets on game w/ pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

GS bullets on game w/ pics

Ok, I got the pics developed. This bull elk was taken with a 300 rum, 348yrds, 160g GS HV, mv=3590fps, impact vel=2830fps.

This is the entrance wound. About 1" diameter in the hide.

1st look inside. Entrance wound.

Good look at the size of the permanent wound channel.

Exit hole on the inside.

Exit out through hide. Caliber size. Notice no blood shot. Also forgot to mention that this bull went about 10ft after the shot. The bull had no idea that we were in the area. I do believe this makes a difference on how far an animal will travel after the shot.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: GS bullets on game w/ pics

Next pic is a mulie shot at 297yrds with GS HV 110g from a 6.5-06ai. MV=3450fps, impact vel=2859fps. Shot was almost straight on. Entrance on the low right side of chest. Exit in front of left hip.

Sorry I did not get internal photos. Entrance and exit at the knife points. The bullet took out the heart and part of the liver. Amazingly it did not blow the paunch up. there was a caliber size hole through it. No giant mess of bile. I found it quite amazing that the bullet traveled the distance that it did. Did not divert path at all. It did break the shoulder bone on the entrance. Meat damage was very little. This buck traveled about 60yrds. He knew we were there on the shot. Right after this photo, we set up on a doe at 570yrds and got her. I had shot my buck at the same time as this buck. Now we had three on the ground and I forgot to take more photos. Too much work to do.

Hope this is informative.

Steve
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting... I wonder if they are expanding or not? Doesn't seem like much, if they are. Thanks for the testing and picture work. It'll be interesting to see more data come in on these.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Interesting... I wonder if they are expanding or not? Doesn't seem like much, if they are. Thanks for the testing and picture work. It'll be interesting to see more data come in on these.
Of course they are expanding, pointed non expanding bullet don't penetrate in a straight line, they are famous for tumbling

Last edited by jwp475; 12-12-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Very cool, thanks for posting them. The lungs on the elk look about like what I get with a Accubond but I get way more blood shot on the in and out which I hate. I think the star shape hole in the lungs is a good inticator to the bullet being open and working.
I love pics of bullet performance!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Those are some nice pictures of bullet performance, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Hmmmm. So for the increased hassle of aquiring them, AND additional cost, the GS offers a bit less bloodshot meat than a "conventional" hunting bullet? I guess I don't see an advantage to them. mtmuley