Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Grouping at 200 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: Grouping at 200 yards

[ QUOTE ]
When all this grouping is calculated, would this be from a bench rest? I'm trying to see how it should be from a real on the field situation. Like lying down, sitting on the ground, leaning on an atv or snowmobile etc. Note that these situations would always be target practice. I also know that they couldn't be as precise as a benchrest either cause of stability.

[/ QUOTE ] What works good for me is using an old wood sled, drag it out to where you shoot and use this for a platform to set up a shooting bench on. you can make a good table from a 6' foot folding office table. For a rest try sand bags or what have you. the only thing you need is a shooting stool you can make from scrap wood. A target frame with a cardboard backer can be made from scrap. Are you on the tundra where you live? If so, what ever the target frame you build will have to be stout to take the wind! Once you know the rifle is preforming to the level that makes you happy, then you know it will preform at whatever rest you have to use in the field for hunting. Of course what will make a difference is if you have to shoot from a sling as the forearm pressure might make a change. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Inukshuk:

When talking about shooting under field conditions you will see the following mentioned in a lot of posts on these forums. Allow 1moa for the gun and allow 1moa for the shooter. Thus, if the kill zone of your chosen animal is 10 inches, the maximum distance you would be capable of is 10" divided by 2moa (gun and shooter) which would equal 500 yards.

You will probably find that your personal capabilites with different field conditions may give you better, read longer, capabilities for one position and less distance for a different position. You may find that prone you would be good for more than 500 yards but sitting you may only be good for 400 yards.

Say that your gun is consistently capable of averaging .5 moa and you can consistently perform at .5 moa prone, then that 10" kill zone taget would be one that you should be capable of making, prone, at 1000 yards.

Under your 200 yard conditions mentioned, the 2moa rule would get you approximately 4" goups.

Remember though that these are field conditions and some people impose range limits on themselves no matter what the gun or shooter are capable of.

Really you just need to fully know your capabilities under all different field conditions and then apply them when hunting. Clear as mud huh?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk:

When talking about shooting under field conditions you will see the following mentioned in a lot of posts on these forums. Allow 1moa for the gun and allow 1moa for the shooter. Thus, if the kill zone of your chosen animal is 10 inches, the maximum distance you would be capable of is 10" divided by 2moa (gun and shooter) which would equal 500 yards.

You will probably find that your personal capabilites with different field conditions may give you better, read longer, capabilities for one position and less distance for a different position. You may find that prone you would be good for more than 500 yards but sitting you may only be good for 400 yards.

Say that your gun is consistently capable of averaging .5 moa and you can consistently perform at .5 moa prone, then that 10" kill zone taget would be one that you should be capable of making, prone, at 1000 yards.

Under your 200 yard conditions mentioned, the 2moa rule would get you approximately 4" goups.

Remember though that these are field conditions and some people impose range limits on themselves no matter what the gun or shooter are capable of.

Really you just need to fully know your capabilities under all different field conditions and then apply them when hunting. Clear as mud huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Dick

This helps me see better what I should be shooting at. Question though. I don't know what MOA stands for.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Inukshuk:

MOA is minute of angle which is approximately 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards etc. Actually it is slightly over 1", but you will probably be close enough using 1" until you get really good or start shooting really long range.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
This helps me see better what I should be shooting at. Question though. I don't know what MOA stands for.

[/ QUOTE ] MOA means minutes of angle. 1 MOA equals roughly 1 inch at 100 yards 2 inches at 200 yards and so on. SS7mm you just beat me on this one!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk:

MOA is minute of angle which is approximately 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards etc. Actually it is slightly over 1", but you will probably be close enough using 1" until you get really good or start shooting really long range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again Dick

I've been hunting for 15 years on my own now, but since I met a police sniper and became a member of several rifle forums I've been seeing how technically ignorant I was even if everything went well before, so now I want to learn as much as possible. Now I'd like to find a good book on terminalogy technics on rifles and hunting etc.

I'm just having to much fun lately. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Inukshuk:

No problem. Sounds like you're hooked. You'd better lock up your billfold if it's not too late already because the more you know and learn the more you will want.

Until you get your library of books up and running try the "search" button at the top of the page. Play with it and you will find that you will be reading for hours.