Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Group Pattern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2002, 02:41 PM

Group Pattern

Is there a specific pattern one looks for in a group? I know that either vertical or horizontal stringing is not good and that some people like to see a nice round or triangular group.

I ask this because I'm trying to develop a load have two that pattern a bit differently. One consistently shoots a more open but triangular pattern while the other will put two bullets in the same hole (or very near) and another near them.

I have links to two scanned targets. I'm thinking sticking with the 7828 but want to make sure that's the good place to start. BTW, my rifle is a .264 win mag with 26" barrel.
http://www.bambooflyrods.com/images/guns/7828.jpg http://www.bambooflyrods.com/images/guns/R22.jpg
Old 04-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Group Pattern

Nice groups. Looks like you have a shooter on your hands. However, it can be annoying when you want all the bullets to cut the same hole.

Things to consider: Match primers and brass, barrel heat, scope parallax and magnification, stock design and recoil management, type of bullet, type of rests and bench, mechanical accuracy of load/rifle, and of course, wind and light.

If this was shot from a production hunting type rifle, you have nothing to worry about. Use the 7828 load, maybe consider match primers and brass, check your runout and bullet quality. Enjoy.

If you are planning to shoot this at long range, then do so with your two best loads. Any dispersions, stringing or other problems will make themselves abundantly clear the further you go. For a hunting rifle, MOA to your furthest range is all you can expect from a production rifle/barrel. Anything better is fantastic!!!

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 04-29-2002, 02:59 PM

I forgot to mention the particulars. It's a Rem 700 BDL with an H.S. Precision stock, Jewell trigger and replaced firing pin assembly (to get rid of that stupid j-lock). I'm using Remington brass (will be trying Winchester here soon), Federal 215M Gold Medal (?, can't remember the exact name) primers and Nosler Partitions. I have a feeling I'm flinching and that the rifle is capable of more than shows on the paper.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:02 PM

Also, a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope. Maybe a higher power scope would help as well.