Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

# of grooves for new Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

# of grooves for new Barrel

I have heard alot about different grooves and their help or hinerence with cleaning, FPS, pressure ect. I was told by one of the manufacturers that ,for my rifle that a 4 groove would be good. That alot of the bench rest shooters are using them and like them. any help that you guys would be able to give to help me understand would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: # of grooves for new Barrel

I am a fan of 5R cut rifling myself...If I were to buy an aftermarket barrel, it would have 5R cut rifling.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Search fiftydriver and 3 groove barrels for some interesting reading. I have a 5 groove 300 RUM, but after reading on the forum I should have went with a 3 groove setup. Wider groove helps eat up the heat from initial powder burn and helps the throat last longer on overbore magnums. Also the fouling is supposed to be slightly less with the 3 groove setup. I have a 14-twist .416-.375 RUM build almost complete coming in 3 groove.

Reuben
Old 12-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

If custom, 3.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

The other side of the coin with three groove barrels is more bearing surface and more friction. This can become problematic with heavy-for-grain VLD style bullets that also have a very long bearing surface.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think I will go with a 3 groove again, seen to many issues when you push them with thrashing jackets, have not seen any advantage to them. I've been very happy with 5R barrels and all my 338's have been 6 land and they've been stunning!!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkat3270wsm View Post
I have heard alot about different grooves and their help or hinerence with cleaning, FPS, pressure ect. I was told by one of the manufacturers that ,for my rifle that a 4 groove would be good. That alot of the bench rest shooters are using them and like them. any help that you guys would be able to give to help me understand would be greatly appreciated.
Bullet weight and size have the most effect on the number of groves IMO.

The light fast bullets do very well with 3 or 4 grove barrels the mid range bullets/calibers
do well with 5 or 6 grove bullets. the heavy weight/large calibers are at there best in 8 grove
barrels because of the resistance of the big bullets to start rotating.

What round are you going to chamber it in and what bullet weight are you going to use ?

J E CUSTOM