Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Grandpa's Gun Reborn - Rem 700 build, looking for input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Grandpa's Gun Reborn - Rem 700 build, looking for input

for precision rifle you need a precsion barrel on a remington 700. what barrel are you going to use??
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

currently upgrading a 700rem 7mm Rum. just purchased a bell and carlson tactical stock, fit like a glove. got a few more pieces to go but the adjustable stock was nice. mine is a sendero SS 26" and will muzzle brake and lengthen barrel 28". work is killing my free time. stuck in north dakota at the moment.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Here's our review of the scope we put on. SWR suppressors is also contributing a Specwar 762, though it's not in yet.

Any suggestions for a top tier bbl? Should we go with something innovative or something tried and true?

Nightforce NXS with MOAR Reticle Brings Tactical Precision to Part 3 of the Grandpa’s Gun Reborn Project

Articles - Nightforce NXS with MOAR Reticle Brings Tactical Precision to Part 3 of the Grandpa

If you've been following our Tactical Long Range Precision build - Grandpa's Gun Reborn - you know we've selected the Nightforce 3.5-15×50 NXS with MOAR reticle and Zero Stop as the optic of choice. Why? It was originally designed for military small arms, just the kind of thing Special Hog Weapons and Tactics™ types generally prefer to hunt with. We needed an optic that was equal to the rest of the build in quality and support. We connected with Nightforce at SHOT Show 2013, and they were just as excited as you and I about the opportunity and they fit the criteria.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

I see yall decided to go with my recommendation for the NF NXS with the MOAR reticle. How are you liking it so far?

That reticle really is amazing isn't it? It's so simple to judge yardage with an MOA reticle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM

MudRunner,

Love the reticle. No complaints on the 2nd focal plane either. It is fast for sure. What do you think about the factory set illumination level?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 PM

This rifle now has a big brother to compete with. We now have a .338 LM. Down the road, these two along with me and my brother/business partner will go head to head against each other. What are your favorite suppressor options for the 338 and why?

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen O View Post
MudRunner,

Love the reticle. No complaints on the 2nd focal plane either. It is fast for sure. What do you think about the factory set illumination level?
Man, I don't even have one....YET! But I am saving towards one. I've shot behind several of the ofher NF scopes with NP-R1 reticles, but looked through numerous with MOAR and done every bit of research about the reticle I can hold. But I have used other MOA reticles in the past.

I honestly fear getting one, b/c I will probably want to sell all my other scopes for my them! LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.