Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Grandpa's Gun Reborn - Rem 700 build, looking for input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Grandpa's Gun Reborn - Rem 700 build, looking for input

We are putting together a precision rifle project and part of it is taking a basic Rem 700 in 30-06 and turning it into a serious 1000 yard gun. Your input would be great and your suggestions are appreciated. The end goal is to have a rifle that is shoots great (kills hogs and paper equally well) and is visually appealing. The link below will show you where we are at on the project so far, and where we intend to go.

Articles - Grandpa's Gun Reborn - From Dust Collector to Long Range Precision Rifle

Again, I'm looking for your input, so post away!

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Grandpa's Gun Reborn - Rem 700 build, looking for input

How serious a 1000 yard gun do you want?

What do you want to kill at 1000?...paper? rocks? coyotes? elk?

Maybe a 6.5 will do it for you.

Maybe need a 338 Mag.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

My vote would be a 26" M24 or Sendero contour barrel with an 11* recessed match crown chambered for .280 Ackley Improved 40* shoulder will be perfect for what you want (wicked whitetail & elk round, too), properly trued action threads and raceway, true and lap bolt lugs, square the bolt face, Jard or Jewel trigger (I am ordering a Jard in the next few weeks for my 5R MilSpec .308), stock is up to you, but HS Precision, McMillan, JP Enterprises, Manners, AICS, etc... will all do the job, and the glass is up to you, but for a true contending 1000 yard rig, I'd go Nighforce NXS 8-32x56 with the MOAR reticle, bolted down to the action with an EGW HD 20MOA base, and TPS HD Aluminum 30mm Med rings.

That would be my perfect setup, with a JP Enterprises Benchrest Chassis system.

Ad as a matter of fact, that WILL be my next build, if I have the money to do the JP chassis and NF scope...If not, I might have to do with what I can for now, then add those later when money permits.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM

4bycamper and Mudrunner2005, thanks for quick replies.

This is long term project, so I'll be keeping and eye on this thread for some time to come. I'll post updates and ask questions as they come. There are a few things already set. If you click the link in the OP, you can see more but here are some basics:

30-06 caliber will remain for now.
Chasis will be Cadex Defense Strike Dual.
Optic will be Nightforce C429, NXS 3.5-15x50 with MOAR reticle and ZeroStop in a A256 MagMount.

As for what it will be used for, we will use it in a class with Bill Davison at Tac Pro Shooting Center. Then it's primary use will be hog hunting. Secondary uses will be general fun and education (more classes), predator hunting and possible big game hunting.

As a side note, we will very soon have a .338 LM to go along side this gun, so no need to try to take this gun too far up the food chain on caliber.

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Atleast chamber it to a .30-06 Ackley Improved. You will gain better velocity and performance. You can keep the same barrle, just have the chamber reamed to accept the AI cartridges. You can fire-form brass by using factory .30-06 ammo that will fire-form to .30-06 AI once shot. Then all you have to do is buy a set of .30-06 AI dies for it. Preferably neck-sizer dies as they allow your brass to remain fire-formed and will help your brass last longer by not working the whole brass, just the neck and throat.

.280 AI is not even a belted magnum cartridge. They are based off the .280 Remington, which has a parent cartridge of a .270 Winchester.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

you have decided on a scope and stock. trigger?? krieger barrel 10 twist??
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Update:

Here is a list of the companies currently participating that will answer some of your questions.
SWR Suppressors is joining a great lineup of participants including:
Timney Triggers, NightForce Optics, Harris Bipods, Dynamic Research Technologies- DRT Ammunition, BLACKHAWK!, Tac Pro Shooting Center, King's Arsenal, and Cadex Defence.

We are still have not defined what barrel and bolt will be used for the caliber upgrade. To see where we are going with this click this link:
Articles - Grandpa's Gun Reborn - From Dust Collector to Long Range Precision Rifle

Please keep the suggestions coming. When you do, specify why you recommend a particular item both for clarity and my personal education.

Thanks again!