Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

GPS and/or topo maps for ranging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2001, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: GPS and/or topo maps for ranging

Chadrack

Thanks for the 12XL info, I'll give it a try.

Cronhelm

I read your article, good reading. Welcome to Long Range Hunting, I believe you'll enjoy the place.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

Chadrack

System works like a champ. Spent most of my life as a sailor and always used Lat. & Long. This UTM is new to me but the distance calculations are very simple, now I need to add a calculator to my hunting list.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2001, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Still checking this UTM distance calculation again't the laser. Last night I did a check at 766 lasered yards and got 2 GPS fixes for a GPS distance of 761 yards (used 1.095 as the meters to yards conversion). I stopped at the Maptools WebSite yesterday and downloaded a set of UTM grids for ranging and printed them onto transparent film.

Are there any civilian GPS units out that give the distance in between two points in meters or yard directly? (My GARMIN 12 gives distance in 10ths of a mile.)
Old 06-12-2001, 04:20 PM

Just got an eTrex Mariner, next high power rifle silhouette match I will enter way points for target line and each firing line out to 1000 yards. Your idea should be within 10 yards if satellites are good.
I enter a point in the pistiol range parking lot and then walk around and navigated back to to way point. Was off by about 20 feet. Did it three times and had nice 5 foot group 20 foot from entered way point.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:04 PM

Dave, that's great accuracy! You'll really like the transparent UTM grids. I've been wanting to get out and test accuracy since the SA is off, but just haven't had time yet.

Any day the new I-Finders will be out. Never thought I'd have any use for a background map, but with the new software that's coming out, they're like having a topo inside your unit.

I think there is also a 'position correction factor' on your unit that will align your GPS to your map. This is a must when using a topo.

I took a surveying class in college and the major factor in better accuracy was the amount of readings their unit took for average. There was no difference in the magnitude of change in position between it and my old 8-channel handheld.