Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Good rifle for hunting and target shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Re: Good rifle for hunting and target shooting?

Ditto others on the Savage tactical series 10FP. It has a heavy barrel which isn't fun to carry very far but I bought it mostly to target shoot with. Accuracy on mine is MOA out to 400 when I do my part and the wind cooperates.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

sorry i was wrong they do make a 308 accumark. i see the accumark as a light accurate gun more for hunting than target. the .257 is near perfect for a coues rifle. with your budget you could get a remington 700 vs,vssf or 5-r and have a krieger or a hart barrel installed. they really shoot.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 AM

Some old man at the range once told me "Two types of rifle: shot alot & carried a little vs. carried alot & shot a little". A hunting rifle is usually light with acceptable accuracy and a target rifle is heavy with accuracy due to a heavy stiff barrel.

Since you did state .308, an excellent round for both target shooting and hunting, I would recommend a shorter barrel. The .308 does not give up much velocity by dropping to a twenty inch barrel. This is what I bought:

Centerfire Rifles - Tactical - Model 700 XCR Compact Tactical - Remington Rifles

"XCR" stands for Extreme Condtions Rifle and is weather resistant coated stainless steel, it has a short and stiff barrel, and Remington's 40x target trigger (nicest factory trigger I've ever shot). Most importantly, it weighs under nine pounds scoped and also is very handy with it's carbine length.

The .308 is adequate for most North American game and the round is 1000 yard target shooting capable even in that short little barrel (use FGGM 175gr rounds). I find it to be a perfect compromise for the question you asked, and mine shoots right around 1/2 MOA. The Remington 700P LTR (Light Tactical Rifle) from their Tactical is the same basic rifle in chrome-moly instead of stainless, and still has the 40X trigger (since late 2009) for a couple hundred dollars cheaper. There is much more web info on the LTR since it has been out longer, they are historically very accurate, usually 3/4 MOA or better-look 'em up.