Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A good day shooting leaves me with some serious ladder test questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Re: A good day shooting leaves me with some serious ladder test questi

Hey forkie ,

I consider the ladder test to be all about the gun /load and what the guns best potential is not the shooters. Once a load is developed that shoots the smallest groups that gives the shooter more room for error afield .

As far as the trigger pull goes I worked with a friend of mine and his 300 winnie and his 300 yd groups in almost no wind were not groups but patterns . I checked his trigger piull weight and it was 5.5 lbs avg. After working the trigger down to 2.5 lbs avg. his 300 yd groups were reduced by more than 50% with the same powder bullet combo. I realize that is not a conclusive test as we only had the two different occasions to look at but I do know that it mirrors my own experience over the years.

If you were to shoot a ladder with a reduced trigger pull and found a accurate combo all that would change when you increased the pull weight to go afield is that the shooters ability to shoot the rifle to its ability would be reduced . For big game hunting I don't think it would be a significant factor however .

As far as changing power of the scope goes during a test I wouldn't change anything during a ladder test . Everything you can do the same is another factor in favor of the validity of the results .

That is a pretty bruising caliber in factory weight to shoot along ladder with and not develop some bad habits [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] . If you could use a lead sled or some such it might help .

Keep us posted on your ongoing tests , Jim B.