Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Is this a good 800 yard deer Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Is this a good 800 yard deer Rifle?

Dakor,

My rifle tops out in the 3250 fps range with the 105 gr A-Max and Bergers. I am shooting the 107 gr Sierra MK to get the 3500 fps in my 6-284. I agree the thicker jacket will allow higher top end velocites.

My barrel is a 30" 3 groove 1-8 Lilja and from talking with others, it seems the 3 groove barrels are a bit harder on thin jacketed match bullets then say a 6 goove as they are routinely getting higher velocity with great accuracy compared to the 3 groove barrels I have used on barrels.

With the 107 gr Mk though I have not had a problem even up to 3600 fps which is a very hot load so I dropped them down to 3500 fps.

I have yet to dust a 105 gr A-Max but I personally feel the high velocity combined with the 3 groove barrels results in a jacket/core integrity issue that causes the bullets to loose stability and thus not make it to the point you are shooting at.

Just wanted to set the record straight that I am not driving the 105 gr A-Max to 3500 fps, I am using the Sierra 107 MK and when I shoot those up I will be using the 110 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT or possibly the 115 gr ULD RBBT.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Sorry Kirby for the confusion. So how does that 107 Sierra work on deer sized game?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dakor,

It performs better on larger game such as yotes, pronghorn and small deer better then it does on lighter game, chucks and P. dogs.

It does not expand alot but if you put the bullet in the rifle place it will outperform the A-Max in my opinion on larger game.

The A-Max will have a distinct advantage over the SMK on light game where quick expansion is needed.

Those Wildcats are in the mail, let me know how they perform in your rifle.

Richard makes a 120 gr ULD RBBT in 6mm that has really had me looking hard at designing a 6mm Allen Mag but need to get the 7mm and 338 finished first!! To many toys, not enough money or TIME!!!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Gold Member

I hear you on the toy thing Kirby. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks again I will let you know how it shoots.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Dakor,
Me and Fiftydriver have talked about this a few times ,there is something about a 6mm 3 groove 1-8" twist barrel that blows up bullets, my first experience was with Bergers 105gr VLD out of my 6mm-284 ,they worked fine until I crossed the 3300fps threshold, then 1 out of 5 would blowup somewhere between the barrel and the target. I then switched to Sierra 107gr MK's and I can shoot them as fast as I want and they shoot better that the berger's.
Then my nephew (my shooting and hunting companion goodgrouper)suggested that I try 105grA-Max, I backed off my load 2gr and we went to test them the following weekend and they BLEW-UP going through the chronograph. (a.k.a. copperwash with a pretty plastic tip) the 107gr MK,s are not the best big game bullet but they do- not vaporize on impact or before (impact) 105 a-maxs and bergers are target bullets and dont fare very well going at a distance. unless condition's are perfect.
B
Old 05-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Brian B,

Again I agree with your comments. We are seeing the exact same thing with the 3 groove barrels.

That said, I do feel that the 105 gr A-Max used in a rounds from the 6mm BR up to the 243 make a pretty decent pronghorn-light deer bullet when used in the 2800 to 3100 fps range.

Has no baring on this topic but I do think they have their uses when used in the proper velocity range as always.

I just wish some of the major bullet makers would catch up with the times and build some quality, high B.C. bullets in .224 and 6mm that would handle the 3600 to 3800 fps velocities that are possible with todays powders and wildcat designs. Gets a little frustrating.

Course, thats why Richard Graves is my bullet supplier, no problems there, just tell him what crazy idea I have in mind and the bullets show up. They generally work great the first time but if they need tweaking he does that on the second batch.

Still, just to make a point, I think the A-Max is a great bullet, in fact I think its the best Hornady bullet out there. It just has a pretty low velocity window where it should be used as with most Match bullets.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com