Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is this a good 800 yard deer Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Is this a good 800 yard deer Rifle?

I am wondering what you guys think of this rifle /bullet combo. I have a 6mm-284 shooting 105 A-Max bullets at 3361FPS with good accuracy. This load will shoot about 3/4 of an inch at 300 yards. Do you think this combo has enough juice to take Deer sized game out to 800 yards?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Is this a good 800 yard deer Rifle?

Dakor,

Will you be able to hit a deer at 800 yards? Should not be a problem with an accurate drop system.

Will you have the power to kill a deer at 800 yards? certainly

Will you be marginal in some areas and shot angles? yes

The biggest question for me would be how large are the deer you are hunting? I would feel totally confident taking a shot at 800 yards with your set up on Texas whitetails which don't go much over 120 lbs. As well, I would also feel confident taking such a shot on any pronghorn that walked.

But...

Up here in Montana and the rest of the northern states and Canada, the whitetail are a different story all together. A mature buck weighing over 200 lbs is common. I have shot several that topped 300 lbs so I would say that for northern whitetail and Mule deer that have the potential to weight +300 lbs and have much heavier bone structure then the lighter southern whitetails, this type of shot with this round may not be the best idea. With a chest shot it would certainly work but there are much better rounds out there that have no question of their efficency at long range.

Now to change the equation a bit. If you loaded up some of Richard Graves 110 gr Bonded Core ULD FBHP bullets and got this same level of accuracy or even 1/2 moa grouping, then I would say go for it as this bullet is designed for just such work.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Kirby I live in ND so I shoot Whitetails that average about 150 to 200 lbs. I would only use this combo for broadside shots. I have taken deer with the 95 Ballistic Tip out to 500 yards and it worked very well. I do not think I could shoot the 110gr because I have a 9 twist. I have never shot anything with the 105 A-max other then paper but from what I hear it works like a Ballistic Tip on deer. Most of my shots would be in that 500 to 700 range but sometimes a longer shot might happen. I would like to try take some yotes with this load out to 1000 I know I should have enough to kill them. I do have bigger rifles so I could carry one of them if I know my shots would be real long but you just never know what is going to happen. Have you used the 105 A-max on deer sized game? I know you have shot it in your 6-284. I guess I am partial to this rifle because I probably shoot it the best out of any rifle I have and it feels like a part of me when I shoulder it. I am sure you have one of those in your collection to. But I want to be realistic about its ability and effective killing power at long range.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dakor,

From my testing results, the 95 gr Ballistic Tip will far outpenetrate the 105 gr A-Max on deer size game. Only problem it does not hold a candle to it ballistically so its kind of a catch 22.

For broadside chest shots you will probably have great results.

The 110 gr Wildcat is a FB bullet so youmay well be able to shot this bullet in your 1-9 twist at full speeds. Remember its only 5 grains heavier but as a flat base it is no longer.

Here is a pic comparing the two.

If you would like, drop me your address and I will ship you 10 or so of them to try and see how they shoot in your rifle.

Ballistically they shoot very similiarly to the 105 A-Max and perform much better on larger game at any range.

Let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

Email sent, Thanks Kirby!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Dakor and Fiftydriver,
Dont want to ruffle any feather's but the 105gr A-Max should not SHOULD NOT be used on any thing other than paper targets. Me along with Goodgrouper and 7mmrhb have witnessed vapor from my 6-284 at 3200fps with this thin skin whimp. use a real bullet for this chambering 107gr MK
B
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Brian I just started shooting this bullet a month ago so I really do not have a lot of experiance with it. But that is funny you mention that because last week I was sighting my rifle in and I was just shooting my last three shot group and I had 2 inside each other and the last shot seemed like it did not hit the paper unless it went in between the two but I doubt it. I thought maybe I pulled the shot because Kirby is shooting them 150fps faster than me and I have never seen him post anything about dusting them. Maybe I did dust that one? What twist do you have ? I have a 9 and the 107 Sierra calls for and 8. So I figured it would not work in my rifle.