Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

glass bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Location: In the heart of the Giant Redwoods, Gods country-Northern California the real NORCAL not san fran
glass bedding

Friends, I am in the mood to replace a few of my synthetic and plain jane factory stocks with prettier sticks. I have attempted to glass bed several of them and seem to keep having the same problem with every one. I am using West System marine grade glass resin with the slow acting hardener. after letting it set for 18-24 hours it hairlips half the county trying to separate the metal from the wood. After cleaning up the releasing agent and the void filler (I've been using modeling clay) when I try to put the action back into the stock it will not go. So I end up with my Dreml grinding until it will fit. Well now it has new voids and needs to be bedded. What am I doing wrong?
Thanx Curtis
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: glass bedding

won't go meaning you can't just put back in without much fuss? I always figured if I didn't have to work at it to get it back together I didn't have a good bedding job. My 270 I really thought that I wouldn't get it back together, finally used the action screws to pull it in place, takes 1/2hr to get it out and I only used surgical tubing to apply the pressure when I bedded it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Official LRH Spponsor

Don't waste your time and money. Send it to Chad Dixon and have it done right.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Chad doesn't do skim bedding jobs. He's said this previously and if he can't work on the whole rifle he doesn't touch it.

Having said that, if it were my rifle I'd change to Devcon for my epoxy and use Kiwi neutral shoe polish as a release agent unless you have access to a commercial release agent. Using these two products I (as well as many others) have had stellar results. I suspect that your problem is in your choice of materials.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM

x2 on the devcon and kiwi neutral or johnson paste floor wax.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Over the years, I have bedded , floated and have used a few different epoxies, and glass. I used to like Acraglass gel, but with ALL of them, like you, it seems as though after you get it apart, it is sometimes difficult to re assemble.
Well, I just pillar bedded, and action bedded a 700 LSS. This time, I used plain old JB weld. As a releases agent, you can use Pam cooking spray. I have also used industrial silicone spray. It works great, and will not fail you. As to the action screws, I bought a section of 1/4-28 threaded rod, and made a T- handle. I put a check nut on it, and used that to seat the action into the stock. Taping and using putty is great, but I always remove the trigger as well.
I have bedded six rifles since that time, and I find that the JB weld works well, dries a little quicker, and most of all, it dosen't " shrink" when you dis assemble, and reassembly is easy. Try it, I think you will like it.
P/ S, using a dremel tool to do the relief work is the best way to go. Additionally, after yo take it apart, it will help you dress up the unwanted " ooze" that you get.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

I put tape on the bottem,sides and front of the recoil lug . It only take a bit of clearance to not have problems when setting the barreled action back into the stock.