Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

glass bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2003, 08:23 PM

glass bedding

Last fall I bought a new win model 70 compact in 308. I got this gun to carry long distances or for packing in hunts. I simply love this gun, but no matter what ammo Ive tried I can't get the gun to shoot under 1.25"! The only thing I've done so far was to have the trigger lightened to 3lbs. My next thought is to try bedding it. So my question is how hard is this to do yourself? Is this something I should try myself? I feel that I would be capable, but don't know where to start. Oh, and I tried the dollar under the barrel and it only goes about 3-4" up the barrle from the tip of the stock. Any thought would be nice thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: Bubb ]
Old 03-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: glass bedding

I've done a few of my own now using either JB Weld, or the Brownell's Accurglass kit. The Brownell's kits was the easiest, and I got the best results with it.

It's not a hard thing to do, but for your first time, it is nice to find someone who has done it a few times to walk you through the process.

I did my M70 last month. I was amazed at how much easier it now is to find an accurate load for it. It's shoots most everything I've given it pretty good now.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:30 PM

Bub,
What Tim said about watching someone else do at least one rifle first is good advice, but at the same time it is not that hard as long as you take your time in preperation. Read as much information as you can before you start.It is no good just bedding the action if you haven't floated the barrel. I use "Brownells Steel Bed" and have found it to be the Best.You can go to Brownells web site and download the instructions in PDF format and have a read first, then make up your mind.Is Bedding and floating worth doing? It definitely is.Recently I purchased a Secondhand Sako .243 in very good condition, no matter what load I tried it would not shoot under 1.5 moa.So I floated the barrel and then bedded it, the thing shoots sub .5 moa for the first 3 shots. Not bad for a sporter. I did the same process with my Sako .222 about 5 years ago it shoots the same for the first 5. I think it can only help!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Bubb,

My sons 70 Compact shoots Federal 165gr Gameking SP extremely well.

They come with a pressure point on the forend, I got rid of it on his because he uses a bipod and vibrations would be consistant if it touched.

I've not bedded his yet but I will this summer, hot glue don't cut it! Take it to a gunsmith that will let you watch him do the first one, or a friend that can show you the basics. Not much to it, but you do need to know a few thing for sure or it might be a permanent stock! Watching someone will teach you in leaps and bounds.

I'll use "Grey" Marine Tex from Brownells when I do his. It's pretty stiff stuff, putty like, but it's being used and recommended by McMillan and many more now.

Good luck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have some other load data if you're interested, email me.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

...There's a few good articles over at the GoGo Varmint Go message board "Tech Section" on bedding.. 'Might be worth a read.. JiNC

GGVGMB
Old 03-26-2003, 07:46 AM
*WyoWhisper*

All these guys are pretty on the money .. I couldn't have covered it better...

I just did a Mod 70 like yours for a friend.. same thing shot "patterns" not groups.. I bedded it .. free plaoted the barrel and with factory sivler tips... shot about 3/4" groups... he's now workin' on handloads...

Click on Jakes link.. good info there!!
Old 03-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

I am about to bed several stocks with about every bedding compound on the market so appreciate this info. Also going to do a variety of bedding procedures. Will keep you guys informed as to what does what.