Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

getting a new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

getting a new gun

Im new here and would love some help with a new gun choice. I have been looking at getting a custom gun built. First i will tell you what im sort of looking for. I want a light weight gun about seven pounds alot of hiking here. Next is i have been looking in a 300 rum 0r in a 338 cal like 338rum or the edge if it will work in a gun that lite. my Big question is who to build it i have it down to borden arms kirby allen or bettin guns but i dont know about that abs barrel so i would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Thanks for all your info Zach
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: getting a new gun

Zach,
I see this is your second post. Welcome to LRH. I would not look at the calibers you mentioned in a 7# rifle. To brutal to shoot in my opinion and you would have less accuracy. You might want to look at a lesser caliber. Some specifics on use would be helpful in making a recomendation.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Bronze Member

Well thanks for the help here is the info for what it will be used for. I would use it for mt goats and deer with a chance of the kodiak brown bear thaat is why those calibers. and here when you hunt there are no roads everthing is hiking and spike camping and with the bears around you need to have something just for you might become the hunted. Every year there are self defense issue with them stupid bears luckly i have only been bluff charged
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Here is a thought get a nice custom for the LR stuff. Then go and buy a S&W 500 for bear defense. I know it is cheaper to just have one rifle but in terms of practicality having a large caliber (44 mag or better) side arm for bear defense makes a lot more sense. Anyway this is what I would do.

Last edited by Longshot38; 11-29-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Carry a snub nose 44 mag myself. Good idea.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

When you look at the energy imparted by large handguns your still better suited to try and stop it with even a standard cartridge like a 30.06. 7#'s seems a little light might want to consider a brake at the least with a good recoil pad.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

I would pack a hand gun but extra weight on a 3 day hunt or more adds up and when climbing a mountian for goats a light gun is nice . I packed my 30-378 once and 11 pound gun up in the hills for a week was not the best. that is why a lighter gun would be nice and with sheep and goats a 5 to 6 hundred yard shot can happen. I will break it if needed i have a 375 h&h that is about 8 pounds with no break and the recoil doesnt bother me. With the caliber is for on these hunt you do sees bears and on some areas it is open during that time of year. Plus i figure with a gun in one of those calibers it would be a good bear gun also for in the spring the bears can be up in the high country so you might need to put on a few miles to get to them and when packing out a load on a pack weight matters. so hear is the next question can a gun in that weight be a good shooter. Hold moa
Thanks for all the feed back!!