Do all the copper cleaners give a blue color on patches if they are working and there is copper in the bore? I tried Wipeout and Accelorator the first time overnight last night. There was no color from the bore of my new 22 WMR after about 50 shots. Could this gun really have no copper fouling at all after that much shooting?
Last edited by Varminator 911; 01-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.
I have tried most all of those mentioned, but not BMG 50. I keep going back to Sharpshooter Wipe Out, no scrubbing, just leave it in the bore overnight. If you are in a hurry, use the accelerator first. It removes powder and copper. If patches come out blue, do it again. Even built up fouling can be removed in three applications.
To check whether you still have copper in the bore, do an application with Sweet's 7.62, remove it after about 20 minutes. If blue shows on patch, clean it out thoroughly, and repeat until patches are clean.
I use 50BMG solvent and found it very effective at removing copper, as others have noted it has a STRONG ammonia smell. It was recommended to me by Kirby years ago, but he also cautioned about leaving it in the bore too long on when cleaning a custom lapped barrel. In other words 20 min or so max, no overnight soaks.
I have switched to using the foaming bore cleaners, Birtchwood Casey and others make it and it is non ammonia. Fill the bore and within a few min, blue liquid will start dripping out of the end of the barrel. Repeat a couple of times, run a few clean patches through and you are finished.
At first, I would always run a 50BMG patch through to check for copper........ there seldom is, so I mostly skip that step now.
Have not tried Wipeout, from some of the other posts have said I need to get some in and try it.
After using various foaming bore cleaners over the years, I like Wipeout the best if I have time to let it sit. When at the range developing loads, I like KG-12 and Hoppe's. KG-12 seems to get at the copper VERY fast...but it burns if I get it on my hands. So, when I have time I use Wipeout...
KG-12. No doubt the best one that I have used. I never had a burning feeling when I got it on my hands, and it does not contain ammonia, so it does not smell bad and will not harm the bore if you leave it in longer then you anticipated. It also does not turn blue, it leaves a brownish color on the patch.
I know lots of people that leave solvents in there barrels over night and have good success
but I have also seen many barrels pitted from this practices because they forgot to clean it in
the recommended time or did not follow the instructions.
I have used the Sweets and It works fast but it scares my because it is so aggressive, so after
using any strong solvent I always patch with a mild solvent like Hoppe's to remove any of the
strong solvent and then dry patch and oil.
I use a lot of Butches bore shine because that is what my favorite barrel maker recommends
on his barrels.
My comments are more of a warning than a personal choice that no mater what solvent you
use follow the instructions to the letter. There is nothing worse than looking down the bore
of a fine barrel with a bore scope and seeing pitting from a solvent that was improperly used
in an effort to save time and effort .
I recommend starting and finishing in the same setting because we sometimes forget (Especially
us older guys) or something comes up and time runs out on the barrel.
There are only a few solvents that can be left in the barrel indefinitely so if I can't finish cleaning
a barrel in one session I just wait until the next day.