Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Get the copper out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Thanks fella's! most of the time I hit the bore with Hoppe's #9 then go back with the Sweet's but times seem to have been a changing around me and if there is a better way I'd sure like to find it! when were out shooting p-dogs we stop every so often and swab out the barrels (normally not enough) and anything to do to shorten that time is more time shooting and with gas going up like crazy and my gas mileage not getting better the trips are getting further and further apart so you see my point I hope. Thought I'd hit you guys up and see what the world has been using but keep it coming I should have done a poll :-) Later,

Kirk
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Re: Get the copper out!

I have had good luck with the 50 BMG but it is difficult to find where I live and found it quite expensive.

If any of you have ever smelled 50 BMG, you will note the obvious STRONG ammonia odor. Of all of the copper solvents that I have used, the stronger the ammonia odor, the better they work. This put me to work looking for sources of ammonia to make my own solvent.

First off, the stuff in the grocery store is only about 2-3% ammonia and is too dilute to be of any use. After a little online searching, I found a source for 28% ammonia from a chemical supply wharehouse. 10 fluid ounces of water, 1 ounce of hand dishwashing detergent as a surfactant, and 8 ounces of 28% ammonia clean better than anything I have found for sale. Another great thing is that one gallon of the ammonia cost me about 40 bucks with shipping. Needless to say, that will make a hell of a lot of copper solvent.

Just a note of caution, in high concentrations, ammonia is hygroscopic and can attract water from the air so dont leave it in the bore over night.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Hoppes Bench Rest.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

50 BMG and Wipeout are my "go to" cleaners.

Tried everything else and those are simply the best IMO.

BH
Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Wish i could find some wipe out, the shipping is usually more than the cost of the product itself.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

I do a quick patch clean with Hoppe's #9 to get the loose stuff out, followed by a couple soakings of Wipeout Patch Out and Accelerator. Most of the time this is all it takes and is a pretty easy task with these products. For stubborn copper fouling, I use Montana Xtreme Copper Killer 50 BMG afterwards. I like the Montana Xtreme better than the Sweets or Barnes.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

I do a rough clean out with hoppe's and then let Wipeout sit overnight. It works the best out of what I've tried. It really saves you from making 100-150 passes with the brush.