Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Get the copper out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Get the copper out!

Ok fella's I am about to run out of my copper cleaner (no names) and was looking to purchase some more but well after I started looking there are like 2.5 million new products out there! some I have never heard of and some I've heard of but have not had any dealings with so I'm hoping that you guys might lend me a hand with what you have found to work good for you.

First off my shooting is mainly at the range or shooting pasture maggots with rifles from .172 - .243 (.338 in the future ;-)) I have seen stuff from Bore Tech, Gunslick, Hoppe's, KG, Montana X-treme, and Shooters Choice! I'm a big time Hoppe's #9 fan but sometimes you need a little more to get the job done so fella's what has worked for ya? I was told to try some of the Montana X-treme 50BMG that would be the ticket but never used any of the stuff so your help would be great! Later,

Kirk
Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Personal experience with Wipeout w/o accelerator and Warthog.

Wipeout for overnight thorough copper removal.

Warthog for quick copper remove during a shooting session.

No personal experience w/Montana Extreme or 50 BMG but I'm gonna give 'em a try one of these days.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

Wipeout (with accelerator) is the best I've used...but be careful, it can dissolve stock finish (and other stuff laying around), and the acclerator will leak out of any tight-lid container once it's unsealed.

The accelerator needs to be carefully packed in upright position in original bottle during transport. I haven't been able pack it in airline luggage (even in original re-sealed bottle) without it leaking into the double Zip-Lock bag I sealed the bottle in for safety.:mad:
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

For a quick cleaning I prefer Montana Extreme 50BMG (they call it Copper Killer now I believe). Strongest copper solvent I've used to date and I've used most everything out there.

If time is not an issue I like to squirt some Wipeout in my barrel and leave it overnight.

Keep in mind that cleaning for copper fouling is best done after cleaning for powder fouling. For powder I prefer MPro-7 or a mixture of Shooters Choice and Kroil (75% SC to 25% Kroil).

You can find some good info on barrel cleaning here:

Bore Cleaning Method
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

PS: Warthog is super for powder fouling. The first patch gets pretty much all of it. Then with a smooth barrel after about 4 more patches its clean. Also, on a Q-tip its great for cleaning the brake. Better/faster/less smelly, actually no smell at all, than GEMTC.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Never tried some of the stuff being talked about, but I have used Sweets 7.62, Shooter's Choice, and Butches Bores Shine (better than Shooters Choice in my Rifles), and nothing holds a candle to KG 12 for pure getting the copper out with little effort and nominal time. Put it in with a couple of wet patches, let it soak for 5-7 minutes, patch it out. It's got no ammonia in it and you don't need to do anything to "turn it off."

JeffVN
Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Pro Shot's solvent will do the same,and like you said no strong odors.