Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The thread is closed

Gen II Henson .338 265 grain project and performance test #1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Re: Gen II Henson .338 265 grain project and performance test #1

Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Pics would be good

Sorry we don't have any.

Unread 12-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Show the pics.

Unfortunately, the deterioration of the personal relationships here pertaining to HAT bullets has left no other way to go in order to keep a large number of folks here interested/happy. Some how we have gotten to a point of dis-trust, by both sides, through poor communication.

I hope the pics will help. I just want to hear and see everything I can about these bullets, and get away from the insults and useless bantering.

Hammer Bullets
Advanced Technology
Simply Better

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lightvarmint View Post

Sorry we don't have any.

I know, but GREYGHOSTt asked for a show of hands.
So I was just raising my hand for future kills.
Unread 12-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Count me in for a raised hand to see pics also.
Unread 12-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

In the interest of bandwidth, who does NOT want pictures???
It is probably safe to say that most will want them

PS perhaps we could set up a committee to study the question of pictures!!
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry if I was confused but I thought Greyghost said ther were bad I guess, or maybe yall need to get on the same page. Maybe he has pictures that he took I dunno. Whichever it is I would like to see some pics.

If there are none I guess I will have to do it myself. It is too bad that it is primitive weapon season here. I just walked in from shooting some of the 180s, there were 2 nice bucks standing on my range during most of the shooting.

If they perform as well on game as they do paper I will be satisified. I was shooting basically a carry gun. It is a Nesika V in a mcmillan general purpose stock with a kreiger N0.6 and a jewel trigger. It is topped with a VX7 4-14 in some talleys and chambered in 30-06AI and throated pretty long for shooting heavy bullets. With the 208 A-Max it takes me 17 MOA to reach my 800 yard target using 65grs of VV560. I started the 180s at 65grs and wasnt too impressed went up to 65.5 grs and felt like I was as hot as I wanted to get, so backed down to 64grs.

I was just fooling around trying to get a starting point and lucked up on what may be a pretty good load. I only fired 11 rounds, nine out of this gun and two out of my 300wsm. (300wsm didnt like them, keyholes) got a lot of verticle out of the hotter loads but 64 grs gave me 2 side by side w/n 1.5 inches at 800. I drove back to the reloading room loaded another round and put it within an inch of the other 2. I suspect that a 1.5 inch group at 800 is about as good as I will ever shoot with basically a sporter weight gun. So yes I will say the bullets will probably shoot, it may have been luck I will let you know tomorrow, with a bit more powder burned.

My group was at least 1 MOA POI below my POA I attributed it to the lower velocity (and much less pressure if you put any stock in reading primer cratering )than I am running with the 208 AMAX. When I finished I decided to fire one round at 100 yards. My POI was 1.5MOA below my POA. So even with what I suspect to be a much lighter load it should only take 16.5MOA to reach my 800 yard target. I didnt put up the chronograph because of the weather and the fact that I have been under the weather, but right now I suspect that that the BC of these bullets is a bit higher than the 208 A-Max.

I am fairly convinced that the BC is off the charts and that the bullets will shoot accurately despite looking dinged up. I will hopefully feel well enough to set up the chrono to confirm what I am thinking. It still remains to be seen by me how they perform on game. I am heading back out to run a patch through the bore to see if they copper bad, which is concerning me more than thier accuracy potential right now.

I was running the 208s pretty close o 2950 according to my old chronograph which is about as accurate as guessing, since it was one of the old chronos. I will run both loads through my new CED to see whats up try and figure a guesstimate on the BC.

BTW I took a pic of the group but am not posting it as I fear some one will say it is photoshopped......J/K I will post it if I can get it outta this new phone and into photobucket.
I admit that I know just enough to be dangerous.....but dangerous at ever extending distances.
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Following quote from LV

"Now, the Gen IIs have a much less bearing surface and they can be pushed about 249 fps faster than the 300 SMK AND as a bonus they have a much higher BC as indicated by the significant differences in drop we saw"

"the bulletsmith modified the bullets to use some of the aerodynamic design and technology employed on our Submarine launched ICBMs"

I don't really care about subs shooting BM's.... other than bearing surface length was there any jacket/core/tip changes made that will make this a reliable hunting bullet with suitable expansion at lower velocities?

I recieved some gen I test bullets and shot them in my 338/378, with the limited amount of testing I did not find any horrific change in group size, I also did not shoot them at a distance to test drop against the SMK. I am sure everyone would like to have a working 265 but the combative nature of these threads makes it hard...... What alloy is the AL tip? If it was a softer AL maybe it would flatten instead of turn sideways? What has been tested? Have you tried different jacket thicknesses? Just hoping to get back to a technical solution for some lighter 338's!!!!

Last edited by lazylabs; 12-11-2008 at 08:46 AM.
The thread is closed