close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

And the next question is... ummmm.... I thought James was Lightvarmint???

The plot thickens.....
Ah ha!

Unread 02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Noel,

I'm assuming you'll be shooting some of your bullets. Can you tell us which ones you'll be shooting?

Thanks,

Mark
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Mark,

The following list is tentative;

ZA30/5.8-W (175 & 240 grain)
ZA30/6.5-W (240 grain)

ZA338/6.0-W (300 grain)
ZA338/6.5-M (300 grain)
ZA338/7.0-M (315 grain)

ZA375/6.0-W (420 grain)
ZA375/6.5-W (420 grain)
ZA375/7.0-W (420 grain)

ZA50/6.0-M (800 grain)

Some of these may still be in beta testing by the meet date, in which case they will not be publicly demonstrated.

Best,
Noel

Last edited by noel carlson; 02-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

What kind of equipment are you going to have at the range and out in the desert? Other than drops what methods are you using to determine BC of these bullets? chronographs? I still plan on attending but it is starting to sound like a big goat roping to me.

I recall when Jeff was planning on having the ULR shoot in vegas that there was going to be a lot of walking to targets is that still the case? I was pretty dissapointed when that shoot got cancelled.
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

eddybo,

This meet is not for the faint of heart, but anyone in reasonably good condition should have no problem. That said, The range instrumentation will accurately measure the velocity, and x-y planar coordinates of any objects(s) which travels through a three meter lobe, and send real time telemetry.

None of the rifles will be particularly exotic, but sniper community will be very intrigued with some of them.

I will wait until the actual date draws closer before being more specific on these items, as we are still in a state of flux.
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

Eddybo

I forgot to add in my initial post, but need to make sure people are aware that my home range...DOES NOT PERMIT .50 BMG or BMG-based cartridges to be fired there. If you plan on bringing a 50 you are out of luck at my home range for obtaining a zero. It is my understanding that Desert Sportsman...another private range in the Las Vegas Area.... permits 50 BMG to be fired there. I know several members there and can try to arrange for you to get zeros and shoot for some drops - maximum range at Desert Sportsman is 600 meters.

The amount of walking was accurately described above... 75-100 yards up a fairly steep hill to one of two different firing points. If that is too far, then I can't help you.

If you recall the ELR event was cancelled (and it was going to be shot on this exact same location) because all but 4 of the shooters backed out and were not going to attend. Given the amount of work that I was going to have to put into event with site and target set up and tear down, it was not worth the effort.

For those of you who want or need to shoot on a roofed range with decent to nice facilities on targets out to 1,760 (mile) and possibly 2,000 yards, I direct you to Tom Sarver's Range in Ohio. Thunder Valley Precision HOME. Tom is a great guy and will gladly talk with you on the phone about his facility and about potentially closing his range for you to do the testing that you may want to do.

If you are planning on trying to shoot a target in the desert or at Boulder City then get measurements for group sizes or similar information...then you need to think what kind of target YOU are bringing to this site, and how you are going to set it up, tear it down, and keep it from flying away in winds that might be as high as 30-40 mph. I have been on site when winds were near 20 mph...that is probably too high for any kind of serious testing, but I shot in it. Normally the winds will be calm or close to that in the early morning and build through the day to 10-15 mph in the afternoon.

You need a 4-wheel drive truck to get to the desert site. Yes it has a gravel road, but it's a weather worn, rain and truck rutted gravel road, that has torn the oil pan out of at least one vehicle that I am aware of (my brother's car). I go there monthly in my Toyota RAV-4 so a hummer isn't required, but a Honda civic will NOT get you there and back with any certainty.

Goat Roping...

I'll just say this....Noel and I have been planning our bullet data testing for a while. We are going to do our testing whether or not anyone else decides to attend. If you want to test your bullets or your rifles, we will accommodate you to the extent that we can. If you have special needs or wants ... like types of targets, instruments to use at Boulder City, etc., then it falls on you to provide them. These are Preliminary discussions of what you might want to see or do during the testing. Nothing is final as yet, with the exception of there being two or possibly three days shooting (at least one at Boulder City and one in the desert). If that makes this a goat rope, so be it.

Jeffvn
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel carlson View Post
Mark,

The following list is tentative;

ZA30/5.8-W (175 & 240 grain)
ZA30/6.5-W (240 grain)

ZA338/6.0-W (300 grain)
ZA338/6.5-M (300 grain)
ZA338/7.0-M (315 grain)

ZA375/6.0-W (420 grain)
ZA375/6.5-W (420 grain)
ZA375/7.0-W (420 grain)

ZA50/6.0-M (800 grain)

Some of these may still be in beta testing by the meet date, in which case they will not be publicly demonstrated.

Best,
Noel
Noel, those look like some long and probably high BC bullets.

Is the ZA30/5.8-W 240 a typo? I noticed you had the 240 in a 6.5 cal length as well.

Are these a combination of monos and tungentsen cores and what twists are required?

Thanks,

Mark