close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Future H.A.T B.C. Test shoot

Sorry I can't. The nose of the pill is so long that it will not fit into my calipers. It bottoms out before hitting the ogive.

JeffVN

Unread 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

General announcement;

I will be contacting some individuals directly with this same information. Last week I was notified that the Saab LOMAH system will not be available for our use this coming June.

I did not realize how new this product was, but it's production is only now being ramped up in anticipation of U.S. distribution, and they are insisting on sending a technical team with the prototype equipment. Manpower cannot be allocated for this event for another eight, to twelve months.

Rescheduling updates will be posted on this thread.

Best,
Noel
Unread 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Noel,

I hope you don't catch too much grief over this. After we waited more than one year longer for the Berger 338s than was originally projected, it seems like we're a testy bunch & running short on patience. In spite of no velocity recording equipment, are the guys still going to shoot?
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

Hello Paul,

Yes, we will still be doing the shoot, but the absence of the LOMAH system really handicaps us in terms of impartial determination of extreme range projectile velocities. I did not want other projectile suppliers to feel obligated in light of that. In the interim, Bryan Litz is still willing to derive useable BC's of the ZA line for publication.

As far as the product availability delay, I am pleased to pass on news of a verbal approval, from the BATF, to make these publicly available. At this point, I am only waiting on the arrival of the physical license. You will be able to purchase them very soon, weeks most likely.
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

I disagree with Noel. I am extremely skeptical of anyone's ability to generate any useful data in the absence of an end point velocity, at distance.

Granted, some of that BC-related information can be obtained by getting a muzzle velocity and then shooting through a chronograph at 100, 200, 500 yards, for example. However, those distancese do not require a trip to the desert with all of its incumbent hassels and equipment.

With due respect to all of our proposed shooters, I do not think anyone is capable of putting 5 rounds through a 18" wide and 18" tall triangle at 2,500 yards and NOT shooting the chrograph that is trying to record the information. I hazzard a guess how many rounds you would have to shoot to get 5 rounds to pass though that chronogrph at 2,000 + yards in the moderate gusty winds that prevail on this desert site. More importantly, give the downward angle of the bullets at that distance, a standard chronograph set up is virtually guaranteed not to work, unless you can set it to the proper angle to capture the bullet passing though the trap.

That was the benefit to the proposed equipment...a 6 foot tall x 6 foot wide method of capturing velocity data.

If we do not have the velocity at distance (at 1,500, 1,800, 2,200, or 2,500 yards) information from a reliable source, then we are left in exactly the same position that we are in now... discussing anticdotal information about the scope elevation that was required to reach a certain distance. No one reading this thread is satisfied with this method.

If people want to gather together to shoot long distances in the desert that is one thing; this was supposed to be a scientific bullet BC data generating trip, not simply a desert "fun" shoot.

I am not happy that we do not have the equipment we were counting on. I agreed to help with and participate in a BC data gathering test. Unless someone can explain how we can still generate usefull velocity information at distances, I see this as having degenerated to a desert "fun" shoot.

JeffVN
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVN View Post
Sorry I can't. The nose of the pill is so long that it will not fit into my calipers. It bottoms out before hitting the ogive.

JeffVN

How 'about a pic next to a 300SMK? Vernier dial calipers should easily measure the ogive length, albeit not exactly, and that' OK. I was just looking for a rough ogive measurement. I know you can't get it exact with them, but 'close enough' will work.

I hope there is a way to do this shoot and gather the data originally planned.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Would shooting through a 18" x 18" window at 1000 yds (give or take) be too much too ask?

Put the chrony body behind a steel plate and shoot through the window. 1000 yd data should be good enough for determining G7 BC's, which should easily be translated to any range.

Of course, there is always the possibility of hitting the vertical rods and light diffusers.

And from looking at the overhead views of the shooting area, i'm not sure there is a 1000 yd option?

Just thinking out loud.