Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Frustrated with Savage Lapua 338......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Frustrated with Savage Lapua 338......

Sticky bolt issue even with Lapua brass...first 50 rounds the gun shot super. Then had the sticky bolt issue...i backed off my reloads way low and still had it. Was going to send the gun to savage, then called a guy on the net under "savage gunsmithing". he assured me he could fix the problem by machining something....sent the gun in, he called and said my loads are way too hot. Basically i have to shoot the gun at 2550fps or slower according to him to keep it from sticking....so $425 later i get the gun back with a bedded stock and recrown.

Today i called savage, and sent the gun in to them....man i hope they fix this.....the bad thing is it groups great at 2750fps with 300 bergers... .75moa all day long
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Frustrated with Savage Lapua 338......

Wow... that's a big price for a re-crown and a bedding job.

I can't think of any sensible reason why your rifle would start showing pressure signs (presumably with the same load recipes) 50+ rounds after shooting that very same load recipe with no pressure signs.

Something has definitely changed--and I'm doubtful it's the rifle. Most likely, you've gotten hold of an off lot of powder, or the seating depth has changed... or there is a new lot of bullets.

Rifles actually, as the barrel breaks in, begin to tolerate heavier loads than when new. The leading edges of the lands "dress forward" a bit... and you actually tend to see velocities drop with a given powder charge. I've lost count of the times I've heard shooters say "My load is still shooting well, but velocities are down X percent."

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion as to how a rifle could do what you're describing... but my guess is still the loading components... maybe even a scale going a bit haywire. But the rifle... I doubt it. :o

Dan
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
.the bad thing is it groups great at 2750fps with 300 bergers... .75moa all day long
And it should. What is your charge for this load?

Jeff
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have seen and heard of several problems with those rifles!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

I have one as well. Got it over a year and a half ago and I have had no issues whatsoever as far as the rifle is concerned. Brass is another story. I learned the 'Lapua' lesson early on.

My personal opinion is that issues arise when owners try to push the limits of the rifle past it's design limits and when loading parameters change as Green 788 points out. Pushing the limits of anything mechanical is a great American pastime but not always prudent.

IMO, it's a damned nice shooter, though a bit heavy, for a bargain basement price, hell, I've paid way more for a scope than I did for the 11 LRH.

It won't win a beauty contest either. My wife refers to it as 'industrial looking'.

Of course I religiously follow the 338 Lapua loading thread on this site. Lots of good information contained there. Borrowing from others experiences, I've loaded on recommendations in that thread with excellent results btw.

I don't shoot it everyday, even handloads are expensive compared to my 223's but when I do, it's always a hoot, it always draws a crowd at the club and some unlucky observer always gets 'washed' by the muzzle brake blast.

I've yet to have heavy bolt lift, sticking cases or brass transfer on the bolt face (other than the usual swipe mark). I do anneal my cases regularly using Jeff's machine (thanks for the recommendation Jeff btw). All in all, the 338 has been a painless experience for me...... some shoulder discomfort arises after repeated use.......
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
Sticky bolt issue even with Lapua brass...first 50 rounds the gun shot super. Then had the sticky bolt issue...i backed off my reloads way low and still had it. Was going to send the gun to savage, then called a guy on the net under "savage gunsmithing". he assured me he could fix the problem by machining something....sent the gun in, he called and said my loads are way too hot. Basically i have to shoot the gun at 2550fps or slower according to him to keep it from sticking....so $425 later i get the gun back with a bedded stock and recrown.

Today i called savage, and sent the gun in to them....man i hope they fix this.....the bad thing is it groups great at 2750fps with 300 bergers... .75moa all day long
I am also having some sticky bolt issues with Lapua brass in our savage 110 fcp hs 338 lapua. I have to shoot really light loads for easy bolt lift (2600 fps with 280 grain bullet. So I am interested as to what your problem is as we might have the same issues. Good luck!!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

I was actually going to buy one of these next week.... should I go another route? It took me the past two weeks to decide between the savage 110 fcp and the remington sendero and I decided the savage would be a better choice because the stock feels alot better for long range.