Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Freebore excess in Weatherby rifles chambered in non-Weatherby rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Freebore excess in Weatherby rifles chambered in non-Weatherby rounds?

Once this

is doing this

Then I just go shoot stuff. This particular group is with 75 grain V-Max's at near 4000fps. These little ones have a slight boat tail to them. I have never measured any long range groups but last time out there were not any varmints so we brought along a bunch of 16 ounce water bottles. Once I got the wind dialed for the 450 yards, I just mowed them down at will. Don't forget to remove .257 from the caliper reading to get the actual group size. Both my 257's shoot like this. I have found the freebore to mean nothing except good things.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Bronze Member

I'm glad you guys are pleased with the performance of your Weatherbys. I really like mine. The big MK V action in the Accumark configuration is very appealing to me. One of my all-time favorites. I wanted a 30 cal with more horses than the 30-06 and wasn't ready for another Weatherby mag. (I used to have a 30-378). I was tickled to death when I discovered that Weatherby offered the 300 Win in their Accumark. I'm going after a 30-06 in the Accumark when it comes up in the batting order. It's three or four back.

The Super Varmintmaster single-shot I have in 22-250 is mind blowing in the accuracy column. I don't have high-tech, expensive bench equipment and use modest, fixed-powered scopes and it shoots really tight groups.

I wish some of the gunsmiths appreciated the MK V more, but having so little knowledge of gunsmithing, I can hardly be critical. I will quickly concede that there are better platforms on which to build custom rifles, but you could never get me to doubt the quality of the parts and strength of the Mark V's design.

Hired Gun, when I start handloading this 300 Win, I want groups like that with some 165gr or 180gr Accubonds! Very impressive!!

Clay
Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Easy on him Bob he's from Alabama!!!You don't have to see WBY on a free bore barrell for it to shoot a tight group, I have a couple of Pac?Nor's that will. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

That was a little sharp wasn't it. it wasn't for OCC but either way I usually dont punch the button to submit the ones like that. My apologies to everybody.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

Just teasing Bob and agreeing with you, I have seen several free bore rifles that were tack drivers my friends own most of them! : [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

I didn't take it as anything ugly. I know Bob is still an Alabama boy at heart. That was probably some of that nasty "Crimson Tide" coming out of him! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2006, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

There you go... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]