Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Free Floating Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Free Floating Problem

Thanks for all the thoughts...
Rather than try to reinstall a pressure point, may just bed the action and then work up a new load. If I'm going to get serious with this stock, I should probably bed it anyway.
Let me know if you think that I have better options. I have made the mistake before of making changes that I thought would be helpful but learned later they may have been a waste of time and money.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

IMO, you are on the right track!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM

I learned years ago from a Williamsport 1000 yd. shooter to float the barrel then glass the action to keep the action from moving with each shot. As soon as I get a new gun before shooting float and glass. This is recommended by most gun smiths.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice guys...I did go ahead and glass bed recently...I haven't got a chance to get to the range yet...but I am looking forward to seeing how it does.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_unzicker View Post
Thanks for the advice guys...I did go ahead and glass bed recently...I haven't got a chance to get to the range yet...but I am looking forward to seeing how it does.
Hope it does good for you. Let us know.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM

I have only worked on one rifle, but have spent enough time reading and playing around with epoxy to make me cringe when people consider re-barreling before they figured out what was wrong with the current install.

To get accuracy, you want to isolate the variables...when you remove a pressure point without a bedded the action, now you have MORE variables, not fewer, as suggested above. It makes more sense to me to bed and THEN remove the pressure point. Does that logic coincide with gunsmith reality?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

As Sbruce alluded to, one major problem with pressure points and wood stocks is that POI will shift with changes in temperature and humidity.

JE's solution is a great option if the above isn't a concern for you. And, it may be all that you need to statisfy your requirements. But, it's a band aid nonetheless.

Otherwise, I would see how the rifle shoots with the action properly bedded and torqued and with the barrel fully floated and a new load workup as JE also suggested.

If that doesn't pan out, then you should probably start thinking about a new barrel and bluepriting from a good smith.

It doesn't take a lot of wasted ammo while tinkering with a persnicketty factory rifle to justify getting it fixed up right with a custom rebarrel and accuracy package.

Best of luck!
Richard