Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Free floated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Free floated

I had to add pressure back to the forend of my 700 factory barrel. The business card trick, courtesy of 7STW worked great for testing.

pressure added

the result

I ended up cutting and fitting a piece of Limbsaver donut and placed it under the barrel. I would guess the best way is to bed a pressure point in the forend.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Free floated-1.jpg   Free floated-2.jpg  

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri656 View Post
Fiftydriver.. If I did damage ( or take away accuracy) by floating bcuz yes it is all factory is there a way to repair or bring it back , to recreate this pressure point so to speak? Or maybe best off with a new stock or what would ya recommend ? Thanks Bri
Its pretty easy to reestablish a bedding pad. Easiest way is to put a few layers of eletrical tape around the receiver on the bottom, front and back. 2-3 thicknesses is generally plenty.

Then mix up some bedding compound, I use marine tex. Put a dab in the barrel channel where the original one was, set the barreled action in the bedding making sure that it tightens down from back to front. What I mean by this is make sure the barrel is the last thing to touch the bedding in the forend so it may be easier to do this with an extra set of hands.

Snug down the receiver screws but do not really tighten them down or the tape will be crushed and not offer you the clearance your looking for. Let the bedding set up overnight and then pull the barreled receiver out in the AM.

Now give it a few days to fully cure and then remove the tape from the receiver and reassemble your rifle. With the tape gone, the receiver will drop into its original position and the support pad will apply a small amount or pressure to the barrel as it did originally.

This can be repeated and played with as its easy to adjust the tape thickness and grind out the bedding if you need to redue. I usually recommend getting the bedding to contact the side as well as bottom evenly as possible.

Hope this helps.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I had to add pressure back to the forend of my 700 factory barrel. The business card trick, courtesy of 7STW worked great for testing.

pressure added

the result

I ended up cutting and fitting a piece of Limbsaver donut and placed it under the barrel. I would guess the best way is to bed a pressure point in the forend.

That is a great way to test the thickness of the pad that works best for you, then when you find the right thickness, put in a permanent pad with bedding compound, good tip!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
Proper glass bedding will always help a rifle. I myself have never had problems with a factory Remington 700 not shooting better after free floating the barrel but there is always the exception. Before you go putting a bunch of money into having someone glass bed etc. I would look around some. There are always some good composite stocks with bedding blocks in them floating around used for good prices. Some will need a light skim coat of glass but most don't. My standard procedure for fixing up a Rem 700 for a hunting rifle is free float the barrel and adjust the trigger to 2 1/2 pounds even before I mount a scope and go shoot it. I have not found many that will not shoot under 1" at 100 yards with proper hand loads. Most will shoot bug holes. Good luck and good shooting.

I would say 25% of all Rem 700s I have bedded or restocked shot best with a pressure pad on the barrel and thats out of several hundred rifles I have tuned up over the years. Some WILL shoot better floated, some no change, some much worse. All depends on the quality of the machining in the barreled receiver and to some degree the stocks bedding quality with in all factory rifles is less then ideal for the most part.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

One thing to keep in mind, since you have a contact point to the barrel that far from the receiver, you can expect that as the barrel gets hot, point of impact WILL rise to some degree. Now for the most part, three shot groups will not be effected much but if you are trying to punch 5-10 shot strings, expect to see some rise in your point of impact.

This is simply from the barrel heating up, expanding and pushing down harder on the barrel pressure pad which in turn will elevate the bore slightly, as such, point of impact rises.

Generally if removing the pressure pad degrades accuracy, you can live with this slight issue for better all around consistancy.

Best cure, pull the barrel, get the receiver properly accurized, install new match grade barrel and restock!!! Thats the best way to get a true 1/2 moa rifle.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com