Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Free float or not -- Factory Rem 700 BDL in 270 Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Free float or not -- Factory Rem 700 BDL in 270 Win

OK, I have a friends 270 that shoots perhaps 1.5 - 2.0" groups with factory ammo.

I like a challenge and told him I'd work on some loads. He lent me the gun for Summer (time to get going, eh?), so that I could measure the distance to lands (have Stoney Pt COAL measure and 270 dummy case), as I believe that if you can, seating to the lands is best for accuracy, at least to start with....

Decided to check and see if it was free floated tonight. Not a chance.

And when I pull the action, it looks for all the world as if Remington purposely put some sort of "hump" in the barrel channel right where the sling bolt sits.

Do they intend to do that?

Should I Dremel it out?

I am a free float fan -- don't have a single bolt rifle that isn't -- but am I missing something? I have not messed with a new factory rifle in years, at least not one with a wood stock.

Its just a garden variety BDL. Nice looking gun really. Walnut stock.

Hate to whittle on a friends gun till I know all the facts..(or opinions too!)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Free float or not -- Factory Rem 700 BDL in 270 Win

Everyone is currently on the free float bandwagon. INCLUDING ME. But in all seriousness I have rarely seen it improve the accuracy on a heavy barrel gun that was properly bedded. The lighter the barrel typically always shoot better free floated. THE ACTION REALLY NEEDS TO BE PROPERLY BEDDED for this to hold true! Often heavy barrels will shoot better if a little tension is applied to the end of the forearm/barrel. Try the factory tension first and see if the results are to your liking and if they are or are not then proceed from there. DO NOT FIX IT IF IT IS NOT BROKE!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

A float will usually shoot a bit better, but shoot some good handloads through it first.
Two of my rem 700's are floated, and two have stock bedding with the pressure pad (hump) right about at the swivel stud. There isn't a dang bit of difference in accuracy between the groups of rifles, and one of the stock ones is an 8# 375- the other stock is a 9# 300 rum (neither have a brake) so the stock group is hanicapped by heavier recoil( both the modded rifles are 7mm- one a rem and one the stw). If it aint' broke.....
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
If it aint' broke.....
Except it's broke, in my opinion. The groups are mostly in the 2" range, at 100 yards, or worse. A few better.

What's the point of a scope if your pattern is going to be 8" at 300 yards.... That, plus the other variables means that you have a 250yrd gun. I have a 30-30 that does better.

So I really should restate the question:

If you are going to develop loads for a gun, would you free float the barrel first and then work up loads, or try and see if the factory "bumped" barrel is OK?

BTW -- its not a heavy barrel. Just a standard sporter....
Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Bronze Member

I'm assuming the 2" groups were with factory loads? If so, I would heed the above advise and try working up loads with the factory pressure point since its not your gun first. I have seen where a good hand load changes (shoots poorly) after changing something like floating a barrel. Then you will have to start over in load development. If a last resort then see about floating it if your buddy is OK with it. Having said all that, I like my guns floated, then I'll work up a good hand load.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Have you worked with a 270 much?? There seem to be a few combos that'll work with all three rifles I've had in 270... Known good loads that'll work in many pipes can get you going faster. The 270 is never a cal. I really wanted to get into, but I fell into brass/dies and my wife gave me a second rifle because I was shooting the crap out of the first one, so I guess I shoot 270's now.
As to the float, I'd work on things in progression; this rifle won't shoot out in a couple of hundred rounds like a 257 stw etc. will. I realize you want to get your friend's rifle up and running, but sometimes you have to either put up the time or put up the cash to get it worked over (BBL., etc.). I'd rather put up a few $$ in bullets/powder than work on a rifle that doesn't really need it. You need to know that it needs the work before you start anything.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

May as well quit dinkin' around.

Its a factory BDL. Hawg out those bumps. Free float clear back to the recoil lug sufficient for a thick business card to easily pass all the way.

Then, even before firing, I'd give very serious consideration to doing a proper skim bed being particular to get sufficient bedding around the recoil lug.

It'll be a bit frightening getting it apart, the first time, as it has to come pretty much straight up due to bedding being all the way around the recoil lug. The recoil lug tends to bind if not moved straight.

While bedding bed anywhere from 4 to 6 inches ahead of the recoil lug. I bet you'll find tuning a load a bit easier.

This process has never failed me on Remmy, Win and Mauser actions.

And have remained consistent for decades. Really1