Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Free float a Model 70 Featherweight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: Free float a Model 70 Featherweight?

i like them floated. With a pressure point cold bore shots can be alot more iffy as even moisture in the air or air temp can change the ammount of pressure thats on the barrel. The ammount of pressure also can change as the barrel heats up and cools so it makes it real hard to get any consistancy out of a gun with a pressure point. IMO all a pressure point is is a bandaid for a stock thats not bedded well. I would not only remove the pressure point but at the same time bed the stock. Ive owned probably 50 rifles through the years and have yet to have one that shot worse after bedding and floating a barrel. For the most part ill tell you the theroy on thin barrels needing pressure is bunk. I think thin barrreled guns are lighter and that may increase recoil enough to put even more strain on a pourly bedded stock but i even have doubts about that.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

by the way that bedding job winchester did on your featherweight is sub standard at best. The bedding compount they use is way to soft. It needs to be dug out and replaced with something like accuglass
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I'll heed everyone's advice and go ahead and float and bed it before next hunting season.