Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fouling and Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fouling and Accuracy

With Broz on this. Clean it with a better cleaner. I have had copper fouling issues and accuracy fall off and thought my barrel was clean. Got better cleaner, lesson learned.

Another issue, just because it is possible, are the bullets correctly aligned in the case necks? I had a bad batch once, due to my ignorance, that would not fly at all. Found out my seating die was messed up and the bullets were cockeyed.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Barrels copper foul 'cause they've got a rough surface. That scrapes jacket material off bullets. Doing that unbalances bullets; they don't shoot as accurate as they would otherwise.

When enough jacket material's been wiped off bullets to fill all those rough spots, no more jacket material gets scraped off, or at least a minimal amount, subsequent bullets shoot more accurate. Such is life.

Removing all the jacket material from the bore lets one start this cycle all over again.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Bronze Member

Factory chrom moly.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBolin51 View Post
Factory chrom moly.

Yes Sir, I have seen this some of the same.

However all my stainless custom barrels prefer to be clean. They shoot the same first shot on as long as I clean with BTE and just dry patch with no oil. BTE has a corrosion preventative so the oiling is no longer needed. This was the path to my clean first round accuracy. Just 4 or 5 dry patches and go. I will post a 1st shot clean bore pic from my 338.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome. I thought about this a bit more. I am far from an expert but I did notice that my barrel took a bit to break in and I was really trying to be as OCD about the break in as possible. Last weekend I shot at 942 yards and my first 2 rounds landed within 3" each other. After that I handed the rifle to my bud who was shooting beyond 600 for the first time. All of the 6 shots were good and would have hit a standard steel plate even with a different shooter and a shooter who shoots opposite hand. He was not shooting for groups at that point, just trying to hit a 6x6 inch rock.

Why I mention is this simply because I cleaned that barrel meticulously and the those first two shots were cold bore, clean barrel. My goal is a clean rifle, first shot accuracy.

If all other things are solid perhaps working that barrel a bit more is a good idea? Just a thought.

BTW- I would do what ever Broz suggests as well. It is hard to tell on the internet who is an expert but I believe he has earned the title.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

A good barrel will shoot 200 to 300 shots under 6 inches at 600 yards. At 100 yards, the group would be under 1/3rd inch. They don't foul enough to cause significant accuracy degradation until about 400 rounds.

Lapping the bore out to smooth it up and lower the high points makes the bore and groove diameters a bit larger. Maybe enough to have less accuracy than before.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes Sir, I have seen this some of the same.

However all my stainless custom barrels prefer to be clean. They shoot the same first shot on as long as I clean with BTE and just dry patch with no oil. BTE has a corrosion preventative so the oiling is no longer needed. This was the path to my clean first round accuracy. Just 4 or 5 dry patches and go. I will post a 1st shot clean bore pic from my 338.

Thanks
Jeff

Awesome shooting Jeff!

What kind of a 338 rum do you have?

I'm thinking about getting a Remington 700 Sendero SF 338 rum because I have been impressed with my Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs. on accuracy and shooting.

I also you BoreTech Eliminator and I do a through cleaning with a nylon brush but only use a wet patch just to clean the fouling and carbon out after around 15-20 shots (I do not use a nylon brush) until I find my groupings expand to 1 MOA (I constantly shoot less than 1/2 MOA groupings) then I go back to the thorough cleaning out again with a nylon brush.

I like this video and I think it has some useful/valuable information for cleaning the barrel and I have found it is true in my experience with my guns and my shooting.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope