Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)

I just aquired a brand new FN SPR A3G and I won't complicate things. Many of you know I am a sucker for heavy 308's. This rifle illustrates why. After having my previous 308 converted to a 6.5x284 I have been having major separation anxiety. The price tag was as heft as the rifle but well worth it. $2990 with a box of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. My only regret is not buying one sooner. The quality and workmanship is superb and I didn't have to wait 8 month to have it built. I was skeptical of paying that much for a 'factory' rifle but I am thouroghly impressed. The thing that sold me on this was they guarantee these to hold 1/2MOA for 10,000 rounds with its chrome lined barrel. It does in fact foul very little and cleans easier than ANY barrel I have ever owned. Or at least as easy as a Rock Creek 300 RUM barrel I had a while back. It cleans stupid easy. With #8 rail mounting screws, titanium rail, and bedding by GA Precision, it is one solid rifle. You could destroy a tank with her without ever firing a shot. The feeding, extraction and function is flawless. I realize that while she is more than capable of doing very well at the 1000 yard mark that this is not a 1000 yard hunting rifle. That being the case, she will handle anything I am every going to hunt to 600+ yards with ease should I need a backup rifle for a hunt. This is my match/practice/fun/ring steel gun. And oh what fun she is to shoot!

Here she is between my 6.5x284 and my 338 Edge:
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)-zimg_0194.jpg   FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)-zimg_0186.jpg  

FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)-zimg_0185.jpg   FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)-zimg_0187.jpg  

FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)-zimg_0188.jpg  
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM

Re: FN SPR A3G doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA as promised. It shoots way better! :)

Hey Michael. I just bought on of these rifles also. I was wondering what scope and rings you used to get those groups and also what scope and rings you would use if you wanted to make any changes the the gear you already have.
Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
I am setting this gun up for use at Frontsight Firearms Training's Precision rifle 1 course. i think we shoot out to 600 meters mostly but a few shots at up to 1000 which i know is pushing the limits of .308.

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

She never ceases to amaze me still. Super tight groups. 168, 178, 190, 208. Doesn't matter. They are all stellar.

I use 2 scopes. both use NF UL rings. One is an NXS 5.5-22x50 and the other is a Mark4 M1 16x. Both are awesome. I have no desire to change. I enjoy the Mark4 better.

The base on my rifle needs to be bedded. Like most actions that sport a lower rear section than the front, are never perfect. The bases when torqued get bowed slightly and when you torque a straight 30 mm scope tube to them causes stress on the scope and action causing bad groups. I have not got around to bedding mine yet but it is bowed. I just have not torqued the front ring down very tight so as to keep it stress free.

Let us know how she shoots!

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Gold Member

How are you liking the CF barrel?

Also where did you get the rifle and if you dont mind what did you pay. I want one.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

By CF I assume you mean the chrome lining? I love the chrome lining. It fouls little and cleans easy. It's suppose to increase the life dramatically due to its resistance to heat. I wish I could have all my barrels chrome lined.

I paid just under 3k and bought it from a local dealer. It is a steep price but it is also a very high quality piece of shooting equipment on par with any custom I have had or have. You could pay more than 3k for a solid custom 308 and have to wait 8 months to a year to get. The only difference is you don't get to pick and choose certain features. That said, with the features you get and this level of accuracy what more could a shooter want?

M
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, the Lapua Palma case, is it better to use in a 308 than the regular Lapua 308 case?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

I don't understand why you posted group #2, anyone can shoot a good 1 shot group . . .

Awesome set-up! Thanks for posting your experience.